Chapter Sixteen: The Confrontation/Flashbacks of Yesterday

JANUARY 19, 2006

AROUND 12:30 PM

TOKYO, JAPAN

                                                                         MARIE                                                                              

"Hey, loser!" I heard a guy's voice say. "Did you get your bag checked for a Death Note?" I looked up who was saying that and found Geffrey and Saiko looking up at me. I nodded. "Yes, and they didn't find anything," I lied...well, maybe not a full lie. Without knowing it, Chief Matsuda picked up the Death Note and didn't know that it was in fact the Death Note but wrapped up in black wrapping paper. Saiko frowned. "Aw, what a shame!" she said in a baby voice. "I was really hoping that they'd find one in your bag and that you'd be arrested for being the new Kira." Although I was the new Kira, I didn't let Geffrey's words nor Saiko's words get to me. "But just in case you are the new Kira after all," Saiko began. She took an apple off her tray. "Here's an apple for your Shinigami." Geffey and Saiko laughed right after she placed the apple on the tray. "Let's get out of here before she writes our name in the Death Note, bae," Geffrey said. "She looks like she has those red Shinigami eyes." They walked away and continued to laugh. 

I ignored them with the classic Wednesday Addams look on my face as I watched them go back to their table. I picked up my chopsticks and tried to enjoy my plate of Chinese food. 

                                                                    VINCENT 

"Do you really think we should tell her that Leonardo DiCaprio is after her?" I asked as I continued to get some teriyaki chicken on my tray. Kyrie looked at me and gasped. "Leonardo DiCaprio?!" she squealed. "Yay! I hope so!" "No!" I answered in a loud whisper. "The Shinigami!" Kyrie's smile faded. "Oh," she commented to me softly before shaking her head. "I don't know. She didn't seem shaken up with the police came in and issued a Be-On-The-Lookout-For-The-Death-Note alert so she can't be one of us." I turned and exited the Authentic American Food Bar with Kyrie on my tail. "So, what are we going to do, Vincent?" Kyrie asked quietly. I got a cup from the fountain drink station and filled it up with ice before getting a drink of regular Dr. Pepper. "We're gonna pretend like we didn't hear that stuff from Ryuk and Midora, alright?" I asked. Kyrie looked at me with a look just like one of her favorite celebrities just died. "So that's it?" she asked. "We just allow the Shinigami to manipulate her all until he gets what he wants?" I held my hand up. "We can't just tell her that her life is in danger because of some Shinigami that may or may not be after her," I answered. "We have to pretend like we don't know anything until she reveals that she has a Death Note...if she has a Death Note." 

I waited for Kyrie to get a drink from the fountain machine. She got a drink of Melon Soda right before she placed it on the tray. We then walked to the table where Marie was sitting. "Hey, Marie," I greeted her right before she looked up at me. "Hey, Vincent," she said to me. She then looked at Kyrie. "Hey, Kyrie," Marie greeted. "Hey, Marie," Kyrie greeted back. "I hope you are okay after what happened yesterday. Did Chief Matsuda and Commander Aizawa check your bags?" Marie nodded. "Yes," she answered. "They didn't find anything." "Good," Kyrie said. "They didn't find anything yesterday." 

JANUARY 18, 2006

AROUND 1:20 PM 

TOKYO, JAPAN 

                                                                          VINCENT 

I came out of the Men's Bathroom when I saw Kyrie do the same as she got out of the Women's Bathroom. "Kids, can we talk to you two for a second?" we heard a voice ask. I saw Kyrie's eyes widen right before she stepped back. I turned around and followed her gaze. There I saw Chief Matsuda and Commander Aizawa standing there. "We would like to talk to the both of you if that's alright," Chief Matsuda told us. We followed the two to an empty table in the cafeteria. "Now would both of you please empty your bags so we can see if you two are carrying a Death Note or not, please," Commander Aizawa commanded. We hesitated for a little bit, but we obeyed their command and emptied out our bags. Although we did bring our notebooks to school, we had them covered up with a black cloth (one for me and one for Kyrie). This was enough to fool Chief Matsuda and Commander Aizawa.