Pre-Chapter Forty-Three: Shopping/Asking Near Something

JANUARY 31, 2006

AFTERNOON (ABOUT 2:00 PM)

TOKYO, JAPAN

                                                                               MARIE 

I was out shopping with Kyrie, Alissa, Mei, and Hailey in the Shibuya area of Tokyo. "Anyway, what was the emergency you had to deal with yesterday?" Alissa asked. "Eh," I let out. "I thought it was that time of the month." "Ew," I heard Mei let out. "Was it?" I shook my head. "No," I answered. "I was probably just imagining it." "Good," Mei replied. "So I guess we can go back to Niko's onsen house pretty soon." "Okay," I said as I checked out this silky long-sleeve black dress. "Wow," I let out. "This is beautiful. It kind of reminds me of Nancy Downs' dress from The Craft." "Ooh," Alissa let out. I turned around and looked at her. "I mean, the hair, the makeup, and the outfits that she wore in the movie are okay, but her personality was a big no way," Alissa continued. "Nancy Downs still remains one of my absolute most hated villains of all time. Lydia Deetz from Beetlejuice is a lot better. She and Wednesday Addams." "Uh..." Kyrie let out. "Alissa. Wednesday isn't from Beetlejuice, she's from Addams Family. Hence the name." I watched as Alissa nodded her head. "Oh, I know," she informed Kyrie. 

"Anyway," Alissa continued. "I have the perfect outfit for the Misa Misa Legacy Party." I watched as Alissa got out a long-sleeved pink dress and held it over her clothes. "Ta-da!" she let out. "Wow!" I heard Kyrie say. "Wow!" I heard Mei say. "Woah," I heard Hailey say. "It's so cute," Kyrie complimented. "It totally fits you, Alissa," Mei told her. "You look like a mixture of Barbie and Elle Woods," Hailey told her. "It's...so pink," I said trying to not show my absolute hatred for the color pink. "Thank you, thank you," Alissa told everyone. "I'll buy it as long as it comes in pink." We all laughed after we heard her say that. "Anyway, what kind of vibe do you want your outfits to be?" "Definitely inspired by Ariel," Hailey answered. "I'll probably go for something that Aerith Gainsborough would wear," Kyrie answered. "I'll go for something that has a Mulan vibe," Mei answered. 

I watched as Alissa and the other girls looked at me. "What about you, Marie?" Alissa asked. "What kind of vibe do you want your outfits to have?" I tried to think about what I was about to say. I knew I really wanted something Gothic, but I wasn't so sure which character or celebrity I wanted my outfits to have the vibe of. "Uh," I let out as I tried to think of an answer. "Character-wise, I wouldn't really know which Gothic character I would want my outfits would have the vibe of. If it were celebrity-wise, I guess it'd have to be Misa Amane." "Cool," Alissa said with a smile on her face. I decided to smile back at her because she was a great friend to me. She then sighed and stopped smiling. "Anyway," Alissa began. "The only downside is that a new Kira is among us now. I'll admit, I'm no criminal, but still." 

I decided to play dumb and not try to reveal to any of my other gal friends that I was the current Kira. "Wait," I told Alissa. "A new Kira has risen among us? It's like a never-ending story here." "It's basically One Piece," Mei added. "Feel bad for the Task Force since it looked like they can't catch a break." I turned and tried to see if anything was getting out of control in the city. Thankfully, I didn't see anything, but I did see Halle and Near walking close up to the store as if they were going to come in. (Well, that's what I really hoped was going to happen.) To my luck, Halle and Near entered the store. "Hi, welcome in," the woman at the cashier said. "Thank you," Halle told the woman. "Could you girls excuse me for a moment?" I asked them. "Sure," Kyrie answered. "Yeah, go right on ahead," Alissa agreed. 

After getting permission from the girls, I made my way to Near. Just by looking at him, I got butterflies in my stomach. And it wasn't because I liked him, but because I'd been planning to ask him something for quite a while now. Come on, Marie. Don't get nervous. It's not like Near's gonna say no. You got this, Gothie. You got this. I thought to myself. As I made my way closer to Near, he then turned and looked at me. "Oh," he let out as Halle looked at me. "Hey, Marie. Haven't seen you ever since the...ugh...the worst party that Lidner and I have ever been to." "Yeah, tell me about it," I responded. "But I'm glad that you and Halle made it out alive and I'm also happy that Geffrey and Saiko got busted by Chief Matsuda. Unexpectedly, they saved DJ RUMAX 2 from getting put in jail." Near laughed. "Yeah," he agreed. "I was not expecting that. Hopefully, Lidner and I won't get to see either one of them for the rest of our time here in Japan." 

"Hey, Marie," I heard Halle say. I looked up at her. "Hey, Halle," I greeted back. "I'm really happy that you and Near are okay." "We're okay," Halle answered. "Just shaken up pretty much." Right when Halle said that, I was pretty shaken up inside. Don't draw suspicion on yourself, Marie. Just act like you're not the current Kira. Play dumb. I thought to myself. "How come?" I asked. Near looked at me with a surprised look on his face and Halle made a surprise Pikachu look on her face. "You really don't know?" Near asked. Damn it, Marie! Not that dumb! I thought to myself. "Well, I don't wanna frighten you, Marie," Near answered. "But it seems that there's a new Kira among us. Lidner and I will have to get the rest of the SPK to come here to Japan so that we can start our investigation with the Japanese Task Force as soon as possible. Lucky for you since it seems like I'll be here longer than I expected." 

A smile formed on my face. This is perfect! If Near stays here, then I guess we'll have more time with each other. I mean, I wouldn't bother with killing him because we're friends. And friends don't kill each other. Anyway, I really need to ask Near something. Something that I've been meaning to ask him for a while now. I thought to myself. I exhaled as I brought up the courage to ask Near something that I'd been meaning to ask him for a while. "So, Near," I said out loud. "Yes?" Near asked. "Well,...I've been wanting to ask you this for a while now and I know that you're busy with becoming the Next L...but..." I answered. Near made a confused look on his face. "What are you saying?" he asked. "Well..." I let out as I tried to think of an answer. "Do you...want to...hang out with me soon?" Near's eyes widened right after I said that. "And don't get me wrong," I continued. "I know that you're busy with becoming the next L and all, but do you think that we can still hang out sometime? You know,...just as friends?"

A smile formed on Near's face. "For real?" he asked. I nodded. "Wow," Near let out. "Yes, yes, of course. I mean, I guess we can go out on Friday." I watched as Near looked at Halle. "What do you think, Lidner?" he asked. I watched as Lidner nodded her head. "Of course," she answered. "Friday sounds good." I turned around as I heard a bunch of girls cheering. "Woo hoo!" I heard Kyrie say. "Isn't this exciting, Marie?" Alissa asked. "You and Near are finally gonna be with each other!" I watched as Kyrie, Mei, Alissa, and Hailey continued cheering. 

AT 3:30 PM

                                                                         MARIE 

I unlocked the door, walked into the house, closed the door, and sighed. "Alright, boys," I said out loud. "I'm home." I found Light and L playing a game of chess as they stopped and looked up at me. "Hey," Ryuzaki greeted me. "Hey, sweetheart," Light greeted me. "How was your little shopping spree?" "It was good," I answered as I took off my coat. "Anyway," I continued as I placed my coat on the coat rack. "I'm going to hang out with a boy this Saturday." "Oh yeah?" Ryuzaki asked. "Who's the lucky guy?" "Near," I answered. Just then, Light's and Ryuzaki's smiles faded. "Near?" Ryuzaki asked. "You mean the boy that replaced me since they don't think I exist anymore? That Near?" I nodded. "Yeah," I answered. I stopped smiling and observed their faces. "Why? Is there a problem with that?" Just then, Light quickly got up and stood there just staring at the game of chess. "Light," I said out loud. "What's wrong?" 

Just then, out of a fight or flight mode, Light took the game and slammed it down on the ground. "Oh my God," Ryuzaki said out loud. "Light, are you o..." Just then, Light screamed out of disbelief. Ryuzaki and I looked at him as if he just went crazy, which he pretty much did. We continued to watch him scream in disbelief for a few more seconds. "Uh, Light," Ryuzaki said out loud. "Are you okay?" Just then, Light stopped screaming and slammed down a chair. We watched as he turned around and stomped up the stairs. "I'll be in the guest room," Light pouted. Just then, Ryuzaki and I looked at each other. "What's his problem?" I asked. I watched as Ryuzaki sighed and got up. "I'll go check on him." 

I watched as Ryuzaki went up the stairs and went to the guest room so that he could check on Light.