Chapter Thirty-Nine: Talking to Christy

JANUARY 30, 2006

AT 12:57 PM

TOKYO, JAPAN

                                                                                     MARIE

I sat down at the table and watched Christy sit down across from me. I watched as she got her soba out from the brown paper bag. As she was taking the lid off of her soba, she glanced up at me. "Did you already eat lunch?" she asked. I nodded. "Yes," I answered. "We went to Wendy's and it was quite the experience. They have Italian food there unlike in America." "Mmm," Christy let out. "Did you get order Italian food?" I shook my head. "No," I answered. "I ordered a spicy chicken sandwich with french fries and a vanilla frosty." "Mmm," Christy let out. "That still sounds good." I watched as Christy picked up her chopsticks. "So, did Khloe eat too?" she asked. "Yes and she was pretty stingy with her food today," I answered. "Huh," Christy said out loud. "I wonder why." 

I sighed knowing that she probably might have not liked what I was about to say. "She had a kolache with the bread and she had a burger with the bread," I answered. Christy looked up at me. "Did she have one of each?" she asked. "Because it's okay for her to have a cheat day once in a while. And besides, I'm sure you already know that she can't have chocolate or berries."  I nodded. "I'm aware," I assured Christy. "Plus, I plan on cooking for dinner tonight. I might try to make some curry or buy some food from a deli at a grocery store." "Okay," Christy said. "Since it's just you and Khloe, I really hope you don't go crazy with your money since Steve and I will be gone. If he wasn't coming with us, then I guess he could lend you some help." There was a brief pause between us as Christy stirred up her soba noodles with crispy tofu.

"Anyway, what's tofu?" I asked. "It's made from soy milk," Christy answered. "I've heard that it tastes bland, but I haven't heard anything about how it tastes if it were crispy." "Ah," I let out. "So...how does it taste when it's crispy?" Christy shrugged. "Well, I don't know," she answered. "I'm sure it tastes delicious though." Just then, Christy picked up a piece of crispy tofu along with some of her soba noodles and placed it up to her mouth. She chewed up the piece of crispy tofu and the soba noodles she picked up with it. Christy looked like she was still trying to decide if she liked it or not. "Hmm," she let out as she chewed up the food. Just then, a grin formed on Christy's face before she swallowed it. "It tastes so good," she told me. "Reminds me of air-fried cheese." 

My smile faded. "Air-fried cheese?" I asked. I never heard of such a thing. Christy nodded. "Mmm-hmm," she answered politely. I was speechless. I still didn't get what air-fried cheese meant or if it was a real thing. "I've never heard of air-fried cheese," I told Christy. She giggled right after I told her that. "It's not a real thing," she informed me. "It just tastes like when you put cheese through an air frier." I slowly nodded. "Okay," I let out quietly. I continued to watch Christy eat her crispy tofu with soba noodles. "Anyway, I'll miss you," I told Christy. "I'll miss you, too, Marie," she said back. "In fact, I'm only one phone call away. So if you and Khloe wanna talk to me, then you can just call me on my Nokia N-Gage." Christy sighed. "I probably need a new phone pretty soon. Don't get me wrong, I love my Nokia N-Gage, but I'm probably thinking about switching to a Sony Ericsson pretty soon." 

"Okay," I said to her. "I'll keep my Motorola Razr for now." "That's good," Christy told me. "By the way, it's still holding up right?" I nodded. "Yes," I answered. "How about your Nokia N-Gage?" Christy nodded. "It's great for games and calls, but it's not the best when it comes to music," she answered. "I've been thinking about getting another phone that's great with music. So that's why I was thinking about something like the Sony Ericsson since I've heard that it's great with music." "Cool," I told Christy. "It may be a little while before I think about buying a new phone, but if you really want something that's good with music, then I suggest buying an iPod." Christy nodded. "I've thought about it," she began. "But I think it'll be hard juggling between a phone and an iPod. I mean, don't you remember when we had the portable CD players? I both love and hate those things. I love how you could just listen to your CD on the go, but when it stopped up. Ugh! That was the downside to it."