Chapter 63: When Things Go Bump In the Night

FEBRUARY 16, 2006

TOKYO, JAPAN

AT 9:15 AM 

                                                                                KAITO (MR. MIKAMI)

Once Jun parked at the entrance of Daikoku American High School, I darted out of the car straight to the exit. I knew that something was up at the school so I didn't want to waste any time just in case something was wrong. "Seiji!" I cried out as I opened the door. I ran into the school and saw Seiji inside the school. "Kaito," he greeted me. "I'm surprised you got here that fast." "What are you talking about?" I asked. "I always come here pretty fast whenever something is going on at one of my schools. By the way, what is going on?" Seiji wiped the smile off his face and sighed. "I hate to tell you this, Kaito," Seiji began. "But since Kazuo hasn't woke up yet and the doctors are unsure of his recovery, I'm afraid the decision had to be up to me." I stood there confused, yet curious about what Seiji was talking about. "What are you talking about?" I asked. "Well, you know that a lot of people love you," Seiji answered. "But there are as many folks here in Japan that hate you too. And not because you share the same name with the renowned accomplice of Kira plus serial killer, Teru Mikami. We received letters that if we don't get back into business, people are going to be shutting us down. I've decided to reopen all schools across the country." 

I widened my eyes. "What?!" I asked in sheer rage. "Seiji, how could you do that? I told you that I didn't want anyone going back to school until Chief Matsuda and his crew found out how Kanto Region American High School collapsed in the first place! You knew that very well, didn't you? But you had the guts to go behind my back and reopen them without my permission!" "I didn't ask because I knew that you were going to say no," Seiji informed me. "We've talked to the other principals of the other Japanese-American Training schools and they all agreed with me. They're reopening up every one of the schools starting tomorrow!" I growled. "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!" I asked. "BY DOING THIS, YOU REALIZE THAT YOU'RE ALL GOING TO SEND EVERY PERSON THAT COMES IN THESE SCHOOLS IN THE HOSPITAL OR EVEN WORSE! YOU'LL ALL BE SENDING THEM STRAIGHT TO THEIR DEATHS!" Seiji placed his hands up in the air. "Kaito," he began. "I know that you are pretty upset right now." "Upset?!" I shrieked. "Upset doesn't even describe what I'm feeling right now! Do you want whatever happened to Kanto Region American High School to happen to all of the other schools?! So many innocent people are going to get themselves killed!" 

"Kaito, please," Seiji tried to calm me down. "How do we know if..." "I remember what Marie said," I interrupted him. "She vividly said that we were all going to die if we didn't get out of the school." I sharply exhaled. "She said that we were all going to die!" I shouted. "And if there is a Final Destination epidemic going on, then I don't want any other schools to get involved!" "You're forgetting that all of the students that were in the hospital all made full-on recoveries shortly before Mei and Jirou died." "So what?!" I asked. "Just send many innocent people to their deaths?! We may just have them all lined up for a slaughterhouse!" Seiji made a confused look on his face. "Huh?" he asked. "Kaito, what do you mean? You said slaughterhouse, don't you mean..." I sighed. "Forget it," I interrupted Seiji. "If this is what you all want, then have it your way. However, I want security guards and CCTV footage everywhere excluding the bathroom and locker rooms." I pointed my finger at Seiji. "Don't any of you forget that," I reminded him in an angered tone. "Call all of the principals from every school across the country. If they want the schools to be reopened, then they can have it. If you fail to install CCTV footage and order all security guards to do a perimeter check across the school before the school day begins, then I'll fire all of the principals of the Japanese-American High Schools...starting with you, Seiji! Beat it in your head." 

I quickly turned around and walked out of the school. 

TWO HOURS LATER (11:00 AM)

                                                                                   KAITO (MR. MIKAMI)