Chapter 89 (FINAL PART): Cinder

MARCH 10, 2006

TOKYO, JAPAN

AT 8:15 PM

                                                                                   MARIE 

After the school play, everyone was getting pictures of the girl who played Cinderella, Tetsuya, and the other cast members. Although I thought of getting pictures with them, I was pretty tired and wanted to go home. It was a long week for me. It wasn't the best spring break I ever had. A week prior, or almost two weeks prior, Daeshim was run over by a speeding tram. When I came back to work, I got fired, some guy pretending to be the Boogeyman attacked me, the "REAL" Boogeyman called me and I realized that he was the one behind this. I didn't know why the hairs on the back of my neck were standing up. They were standing up the last time someone died and that someone, as you all know, was Daeshim. For a Friday night, it wasn't too late. Just as long as I was home before midnight. I didn't like long party receptions because I'd be home very late and if it was a Sunday, that would be a problem. I say this because I would have school the next day. However, during this situation, I would have to go back to work because the school had collapsed. Thankfully, I had two weeks of spring break and a day since the Monday after spring break would be a school holiday. 

I wanted to make sure I was home by midnight. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't scared of anything that came out at midnight. I just wanted to be home by midnight. I didn't like being out that late. "Hey," I heard Near say. "Do you wanna cookie?" I was a bit confused with what he asked me. "Excuse me?" I asked. "No, no," Near answered. "Do you wanna cookie?" I looked at Near's hand and saw him holding a double chocolate cookie. "Oh," I chuckled. "Sure." Near passed me the cookie and I took a bite out of it. "Mmm," I let out. "This is delicious." "It is," Near agreed. I watched as he picked up his macadamia nut cookie and ate it. "There you are, Near," we heard a familiar voice say. I saw Commander Rester right beside Near. "How are the cookies?" he asked Near. "Good," he answered. "Anyway, as you already know, this is Marie." I watched as Commander Rester looked at me. "Hey," he greeted me. "I met you right before the play, but I hadn't had a lot of time to talk to you. Anyway, how did you and Near meet?" 

"We met at the school," I answered. "It was the day when it collapsed." Commander Rester looked at me with a confused look on his face. "Oh, right," he let out. "Kanto Region American High School was the same school that collapsed." "We still have no idea how the building collapsed," I lied. "That's a shame," Commander Rester said to me. "I'm very sorry about the school and about those kids that died. Did you know them?" I nodded. "Yeah," I answered. "They were my friends." "Well then," Commander Rester began. "I'm very sorry about your school and your friends." I nodded. "Thanks," I told him before I continued to munch on my cookie. "Do you have any plans for next week?" Near asked. I shook my head. "Not that I know of," I answered. "Why?" Near shrugged. "I don't know," he answered. "Maybe I want to see you. I'll see you around." "Okay," I told Near. "See you soon." "It was nice meeting you, Marie," Commander Rester told me. I watched as they both left. 

I was a bit surprised that Near would ask me if I was free next week. I say this because I was the one who asked if he was free. I was just happy that I didn't have to use the Death Note again with Near in the same place that I was. The last time was already hard enough. I sighed knowing that I was more than likely going to see Near next week. Even though I would be happy to see him, I still need to get back at that monster called the Devil who took my school and friends away. I had to do something about him. I couldn't let him get away with what he's done. It was my job as Kira to make sure evil didn't prevail. One thing I didn't know was how the school collapsed (obviously) and what this guy wanted. How could someone want to collapse a school and kill the people who survived the collapse? This guy believes himself to be doing the right thing, but killing innocent people is never the right thing.