Chapter Seven: A Japanese-American Training School

JANUARY 15, 2006

AROUND 7:30 AM 

TOKYO, JAPAN 

                                                                            MARIE 

I tried making tons of cups of coffee, but in the end, I would always keep spitting it out in the sink. I sighed and shook my head. "I can't go back to sleep!" I told myself. "I can't go back to sleep!" Christy came downstairs slightly moaning and rubbing her eyes. When she stopped rubbing her eyes and opened them, she was surprised to see me there making coffee. "What are you doing?" she asked in a surprised tone. I made eye contact with her for a little bit then looked down at the coffee-making machine. "Making coffee," I answered. Christy walked up to me. "Do you know how to make it?" she asked. "No!" I answered. "I hate coffee!" Christy tilted her head. "Then why are you making it?" she asked. I tried pushing the coffee beans into the coffee maker. "I had a bad dream," I answered. Christy sighed in annoyance. "Don't tell me it was about Kira!" she complained. "It wasn't!" I struggled to get the last bit of coffee beans into the machine. "It was about a man trying to be a scarier version of Ghostface!" I answered as I tried to push the coffee beans down into the machine. 

Christy walked up to me. "Stop! You'll break it!" She snatched the coffee-making machine out of my hands before she emptied the coffee machine and spilled coffee beans all over the counter. Christy looked back at me. "How did you go from having nightmares about Kira to having nightmares about a man trying to be an even worse version of Ghostface?" she asked. I shrugged. "I don't know," I answered. "They could be linked somehow." "Somehow?" Christy asked as she picked up a pile of coffee beans. "How is that even linked? Since when did Light Yagami ever wear a mask?" she asked as she took the coffee beans and threw them in the trash can. "Don't waste them!" I reminded her. She turned and looked at me with an intense glare. "Well, I don't like coffee either!" she told me.

We then heard a knock on the door. Christy stopped what she was doing and went straight to the door. "Oh," she said. "Good morning, Steve." I went to pick up the rest of the coffee beans while she was at the door talking to Steve and placed the remaining coffee beans in the trash can. "Good morning, Christy," I heard Steve say. "Is Marie awake? I have some very important news to tell her." I walked to the door and tried to spark a conversation between the two. "Hey, Steve," I greeted him. "Good morning," he greeted me. "I just received some news from one of the finest schools in Tokyo." Steve took out a folded piece of paper from his pocket and handed it to me. I took the piece of paper from Steve and unfolded it. "What's it say?" Christy asked. "To Anna Monroe," I read. "We would like to say that we would be glad to have you at our school. We would be honored to have you at our school." Christy and I looked at each other. We squealed in excitement and hugged each other. "Now I wouldn't mind taking you there," Steve said as Christy and I stopped hugging each other. "It's a ten-minute drive from here and I would gladly take you, girls, if you're willing to come along." "Oh yes," I told Steve. "We'll be going with you. " "Just allow us to get ready first!" Christy chimed. 

After we got ready and had a small breakfast, we went outside and saw that Steve had a car this time. "Feel free to hop in!" he offered us. We hopped into the car without second thoughts and couldn't wait to go to the school that offered to make me their student. On the drive there, Steve started to spill out some facts about Japan that we didn't know about. "You know," he started. "Here they don't usually have days off or summer breaks for the schools here in Japan." "They don't?" I asked. "Nope, not really," he answered. "What?!" I boasted like somebody I knew or someone famous just died. Oh no, what was I thinking? I knew I should have stayed in America! Or maybe I should have offered to move to Mexico with some of my dad's family members! I was so excited to go to Japan at first, but now I regretted ever wanting to come here! No breaks, no vacations! I can't go on like this! I want my Western lifestyle back! I thought to myself. "Calm down, Marie," Steve said as he tried to calm me down. "Calm down." Christy turned around in the front seat only to pat and hold my hands. "You're gonna love your school. You'll find out when you ask the school principal." After Steve told me that, we went the rest of the way to the school in silence.