Chapter 59 (PART ONE): A Murder-Suicide

FEBRUARY 15, 2006

TOKYO, JAPAN

AT 4:00 AM

                                                                             MARIE 

After riding Ms. Hirota's bike for over an hour with the hope of finding Pauline's house, I found a house with two police cars. Both of them had their lights on and there was an ambulance on the side of the road. I knew that had something to do with Pauline and Mamoru. I parked Ms. Hirota's bike on the side of the road and ran up to the driveway when I saw a woman and a man crying. "What happened?" I asked. The woman looked up at me with a devastated look on her face. "Why weren't you there to help?" she asked. "Help?" I asked. "What are you talking about?" I looked past the woman and saw a gurney carrying a dead body out of the house. I looked back at the woman and saw tears streaming from her eyes. "My Mamoru," she began. "He spent the night with a girl..." Mrs. Matsuoka sniffed. "And she murdered my baby in cold blood." I widened my eyes and dropped my jaw after I heard this. I couldn't believe it! Mamoru was murdered?! No, it couldn't be. He was too nice of a guy. I was certain that no one would want to kill him. And also, Pauline was going to have sex with Mamoru tonight. So, what happened to her? Did she leave hours before the murder? Or was she...? 

"What?" I asked. "That's impossible. Who would do such a thing to Mamoru?" Mrs. Matsuoka sniffled and walked away. "Mrs. Matsuoka?" I asked as I turned around. "Mrs. Matsuoka?" I watched as she looked at the person in the ambulance with an angry look on her face. I looked away for a second and noticed her placing her hand down which convinced me that she flipped the person in the ambulance off before she stormed off. I walked up to the ambulance and saw a man crying over a dead body on a gurney. I watched as the man uncovered his eyes and looked at me. Once his eyes and mine met, I stepped back as I saw his face turn into an angry one. I took a step back and hoped that he wouldn't do anything to me. However, my wishes didn't come true because he charged at me like a bull. "MONROE!!!" he yelled. The man tackled me to the ground and I yelped right before my back hit the road. 

"WHY DIDN'T YOU SAVE MY DAUGHTER?!" the man yelled at me. "MY DAUGHTER NEEDED HELP AND YOU JUST SAT THERE FOR YOUR OWN SELFISH REASONS! YOU STAYED BACK JUST TO ENJOY YOUR VALENTINE'S DAY WHEN YOU COULD HAVE STOPPED HER FROM TAKING SOMEONE ELSE'S LIFE ALONG WITH HER OWN!" I struggled to get the man off of me. The situation got worse from there because I realized that the man on top of me was none other than Pauline's father. I would have never guessed that Pauline was half-Japanese. "I'm sorry," I told Mr. Rubi. "I had no idea that Pauline was psychotic." Mr. Rubi gasped and struck me across the face with his fist. "What did you say about my baby girl?!" he asked in sheer rage. I looked back at him as I felt a trickle of blood run down from my nose. "I'm so sorry, Mr. Rubi," I answered. "I didn't mean it like that! I swear!" Suddenly, I heard footsteps running up to us. I watched as two male police officers pulled Mr. Rubi off of me. 

He struggled with the two police officers and acted like a wild dog. "That's enough," the one on the right said. "We already dealt with this on Saturday," the other one added. "We don't need to be dealing with anything like this again." I instantly recognized the officers immediately. They were Officer Mogi and Officer Ide. I watched as Officer Mogi gave me a look. "You'd better get back home," he told me. "It's not safe for you to be here right now." I got up and wiped the trickle of blood coming from my nose with the sleeve of my jacket. "I..." I hesitated. "Marie!" I heard a familiar voice call out. I turned around and saw Mr. Mikami running up to me. He gave me a big hug once he knew that I was safe. Mr. Mikami must have been really happy knowing that I was safe. I hugged him back for a few seconds before we stopped hugging. "Are you alright?" Mr. Mikami asked. I nodded. "Yes," I answered. "I'd guess so."