Chapter 78 (PART TWO): Learning More About Mr. Mikami

FEBRUARY 26, 2006

TOKYO, JAPAN

AT 8:00 AM 

                                                                                     MARIE 

I walked into the kitchen and found Light with a bag of potatoes in his hands. "Is that what we need to make potato chips?" I asked. Light raised his arm. "How can you make potato chips without the potatoes?" he asked. I sighed. "I'm sorry to say this, Light," I began. "But I don't know anything about making potato chips." "Well, we can make some," Light reminded me. "Come on, don't be such a quitter, Marie." I held my hands up after Light said that. "I'm not a quitter," I told him. "I just never made potato chips before. That's all." Light shrugged. "Well," he began. "There's a first time for everything." I decided to suck it up after Light told me that. "Okay," I said out loud. "I'll help." I went to Light's side and watched as he peeled the potatoes. It took him a few seconds before he looked at me. "Are you going to wash your hands?" he asked me.

I nodded. "Of course," I answered. I turned around and went straight to the sink. I washed my hands with dish soap and lukewarm water. Once I was done, I went back to Light's side and helped him peel the potatoes. "Do you think I forgot to buy potato chips or did you just eat them all?" I asked. "I think you forgot to buy them," Light answered. "I'll remind you to buy me two extra bags next time. And next time make it the Japanese potato chips." I held my hands up in the air. "Okay, I will," I told Light. "I will." I watched as Light continued to peel the potatoes. "Are you sure you're using the right potatoes?" I asked. "It's russet potatoes," Light answered. "And yes, they are the right potatoes. Anyway, can you tell me what you were doing upstairs?" "Huh?" I asked as I made a confused look on my face. "Alex told me that he thought that you had stuff to do," Light answered. "Stuff?" I asked. "Like what?" "I don't know," Light answered. "He didn't go into specific detail." 

I sighed. "Okay," I said out loud. "I was busy researching Mr. Mikami so that I could find any information that could help him." "Did you find anything?" Light asked. I shook my head. "No," I answered. "But I found out that he was kidnapped twice. Once when he was a child he was rescued by a man in a Spider-Man costume who turned out to be a teacher from La Vega Middle School." Light made a slight smile. "Peter Conley," I heard him mutter. I was not expecting Light to know more about Mr. Mikami than I did. "Yes," I replied. "How did you know that?" "I do my research," Light answered. "Do you know anything about the second incident?" I shook my head. "No," I answered. "I was going to read it, but then you told me to come downstairs and help you make some potato chips." "Oh," Light let out. "Sorry about that. Maybe you should go back upstairs and do some digging on the second incident." 

I was surprised after Light said that. "But I thought you said..." I tried to say to him. "I know what I said," Light interrupted me. "But it's your job to help Mr. Mikami get out of jail. And besides, you have two days left before Mr. Mikami will be in jail until 2011." I quivered after I heard 2011. "Maybe that's the reason why I've been having dreams about the 2010s being such an undesirable time to live in," I said to myself. "Maybe," Light replied. "Now get upstairs and find something that can help your teacher out." After Light said that, I ran upstairs and went to my room. "I'll call you when the potato chips are done!" I heard Light call out from downstairs. Once I was in my room, I went back to my computer and did my research. I read the article: 

"KIDNAPPING: THE SECOND INCIDENT"

I continued to read: 

"On January 1, 1996, at the age of 17, Kaito Mikami visited his first girlfriend's house so that he could deliver some Christmas presents that his parents had bought for her siblings. When he came in, his former girlfriend, Amala Dominguez greeted him with open arms and thanked him for the presents. Amala offered for Kaito to stay, but he refused and said that his foster father didn't feel comfortable with him staying overnight. That's when two muscular men came out of the house and grabbed him. Kaito thought that Amala would react scared and tried to do something about the whole incident. Unfortunately, she just stood there and smiled as he was being tied to her parents' bed. Once Kaito was tied up, the two men left leaving him alone with Amala. Kaito didn't realize what was going on at the time, but he claims that when he saw Amala smile, that's when he realized that she was behind this. She placed a piece of grey duct tape on his mouth to prevent him from speaking and took off his shoes along with his socks. Then Amala had cut off his clothes, which included his underwear as well."