Chapter Forty-Three: Hanging Out With Near

FEBRUARY 3, 2006 

MORNING TIME (AT 6:30 AM)

TOKYO, JAPAN

                                                                              MARIE 

I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock ringing. I reached for the alarm clock and placed it on snooze. As I did so, I could feel the empty space in my bed. There was no one there. Not Light, L, or Alex. They must have been in another room. If they were (which I hoped that they were), I was super happy about it knowing that I had a bed all to myself since some mornings, I would find Light there. L was only found in my bed once because Light had placed him in there. As I was really happy that there were no Shinigamis or phantoms in my bed, I stretched out my arms and yawned before opening my eyes. I sighed. "Today's the day, Marie," I told myself. I quickly got out of bed and placed on my black house shoes. "Today you'll be spending the day with Near." I went to the bathroom all excitedly so that I could brush my teeth. 

After brushing my teeth, I came out of the bathroom and headed straight to the kitchen. Just then, I heard footsteps coming from down the stairs. I walked into the living room so that I could see who was coming down the stairs. Turns out, the person coming down the stairs was Light. "Good morning, Marie," he greeted me as if he just got up. "Good morning, Light," I greeted him back. "Did you sleep well?" Light moaned in tiredness. "Got no less than how many hours that Titanic was." I widened my eyes and dropped my jaw once I heard that. "You serious, Light?" I asked. "I mean, you've been acting weird ever since I told you that Near and I were planning on hanging out today." "Eh," Light let out as he shrugged his shoulders. "I'm gonna get some coffee." I then realized that for some reason, I couldn't remember why it was, that I threw most of the coffee beans away. "Uh, yeah, Light," I told him. "About that...you see, Christy and I...um..." 

I watched as Light opened the drawer above the coffee machine and found no bags containing coffee beans. "What?" he asked. "What the hell is this?" I watched as Light turned around and looked at me. "How do you even make coffee if you don't have any coffee beans?" he asked. I shrugged and brought my arms up. "I don't know," I answered. "Christy and I don't drink coffee." Light growled like a chihuahua after I answered this. "You really need to get more sleep at night," I told him. "I don't know what's been keeping you up at night, but I..." Light turned around and I saw him with an aggravated look on his face. "You wanna know what's keeping up at night?" Light asked. "I'll tell you what's keeping me up at night. You and Near are going on a date!" I scoffed and shook my head. "No," I answered. "Near and I aren't going on a date. We're just two friends hanging out." "It's not a date," Light mimicked in his female voice. "Hey, you know I really think you need to get some sleep," I told him. "Because if you're worried about me and Near that bad, then you should just not worry." 

"Augh!" Light growled. "Okay, first off, you can do so much better than Near. It's bad enough that we're under the same roof with the super detective L, Ryuzaki. I mean, out of all places in Japan, why did he have to come under our roof?!" "Our roof?" I asked. "This is my house. You and Ryuzaki are just visiting. And don't forget that I'm doing you a favor by trying to find a way to reunite you with Misa. Once you two are reunited, I'm afraid you and Ryuzaki have to go." Light scoffed. "This is my house!" Light shouted. "I lived here first!" Light pointed his finger at me. "It was when my mom and Sayu moved that Steve bought it! It doesn't give you the right to be the queen of this house since me and my family lived in it FIRST!" Just then, Light and I stared at each other in complete silence for about ten seconds before we heard someone walking down the stairs. 

Just then, Ryuzaki made his way into the living room. He looked at us in a very concerned and confused way. "What the hell is going on here?" Ryuzaki asked. "Why is there so much yelling?" I sighed and Light turned to face him. "Don't worry about it," I answered. Just then, I heard Light yawn and stretch his arms out. "I'm going back to bed," he told us as he made his way up the stairs. Just then, Ryuzaki crossed his arms. "Is he still upset that you and Near are going on a date?" he asked. I shrugged. "Sounds like it," I answered. "I mean, it's not a date. We're just two friends hanging out." "Sure," Ryuzaki let out. I watched as he made his way to the refrigerator and opened it. "Mmm," he let out. "More cakes." I watched as he took a piece of Japanese cheesecake out of the refrigerator. I watched as he turned to look at me. "First of all, if the event involves a girl and a guy hanging out together, then it's a date," he told me.