Chapter 29: Getting closer

One week later: 

We stood in line, ready to graduate high school at sixteen and seventeen years old. We have been married for almost three months and have a baby on the way. 

Harper shows more now if she wears tighter clothes, and today, she decided to wear a tight dress that really showed her baby bump. 

She wanted to put a stop to the lies going around school. After today, she would be done with all this high school crap. She is a married woman, and in nineteen weeks, she will be a mother to a newborn baby girl.

Brennen kept his arm wrapped around her the entire time they stood there. "Baby, are you sure you are okay standing here? They need to hurry up and let us walk in so you can sit down."

She laid her head on his chest, "Baby, I am fine. My back hurts a little, but that is because our little munchkin is finally growing. Other than that, I am fine. I stand all day at work."

"I know, and I wish you would quit your job and just sit at home and relax. You are having my baby; you shouldn't be working."

"I know, but I enjoy working and like my boss. Greta is really nice. She lets me sit when we aren't busy. I know you aren't happy with me working but look at the money I have saved us with my discounts. I have a little money saved up, so I can buy your Christmas, birthday, and Valentine's Day presents myself."

"Sweetheart, my money is our money. You have a debit card for our account. Use it; that's why I gave it to you."

"I know, but I wouldn't feel right using your money to buy your presents. I promise after our little princess arrives, I will only work a couple of days a week, just so I have my own money to buy those things."

"I love you, Mrs. Scott."

"I love you, Mr. Scott." He leaned down and kissed her. Finally, the line began moving, and he held her back as they walked. Right before they went in, he stepped in front of her and held her hand as they walked to their seats. 

Speeches were given, and row after row of kids stood and walked across the stage to get their diplomas. When it was our turn, the principal stopped.

"I want to say a few words about the next two students coming up. This couple is sixteen and seventeen; they were sophomores. They were getting married, and he wanted to know how they could graduate early without a GED. So, I gave them a test that took several hours, and they attended school every day patiently until the tests were graded. They both passed with flying colors. They have already enrolled in college and are ready for their futures. I just want to say how incredibly proud I am of Brennen and Harper Scott. Will you both please come up and get your diploma? You earned it."

Brennen helped her up, and they walked up; he turned her hand loose long enough to shake the teachers and principal, and then he grabbed her hand as they walked down. He kissed her when they got to the bottom as they both held their diplomas up for their parents to snap photos. 

They threw their hats, and when it was over, they stepped outside. She had already removed her gown because she was hot. Brennen carried it, and they walked to their family. She wanted everyone to see her very tiny baby bump.  

She put her gown back on to take pictures and then removed it again. She noticed a few students whispering to other students, and she smiled at them as they talked. They went out to dinner to celebrate with their parents and Becca. She had flown in for summer and to see them graduate. 

Two weeks later: 

Her dad, Jeff, and his dad, Henry, came over, and they decorated the nursery. She went shopping with Jade and Christy at the mall for baby clothes.