Chapter 17: Back to School

My girl is the best; she has been so sweet and loving. She knows I have picked up some extra shifts just in case. I have been saving my money for a year. 

I have a little saved enough to get us by for a few months if she is pregnant. I can't believe I fucked up so bad.

I have never had a condom break in all these years, and then the second time I sleep with my girlfriend, it breaks. 

Some might say that's Kismet, and it's meant to be. Maybe it is, but I will feel horrible because I failed her. That night, she gave me something she had never given anyone and could never give anyone again. 

Both of our lives will be changed because of a broken condom. It doesn't change the way I feel about her. I have prepared some things to help us maybe graduate early. 

We have discussed how we can both attend college and raise a child. So, she will go to morning classes, and I will go to evening classes and work on days she is home. 

I pick her up for school and help her into the jeep. She looks so happy; I don't know if that's because of me or because she lost her virginity, but she looks like she is just radiating happiness. 

I hold her hand the entire way to school. We park, and I help her out. Jace and Hunter walk over, all smiling. 

"You didn't. Did you two finally do it?"

"What are you talking about, Hunter?" I ask.

"She is smiling and radiating, almost glowing."

"No, I'm not."

"Girl, yes, you are. You finally lost your V card. Congrats on making Brennen wait so long—five months or so," Jace said, smiling at them.

"Shut up, both of you. We are just happy, right, baby?"

"Right." They were both smiling and laughing.

We walked in, and I went to my locker. I grabbed my books and then went to hers. She was pulling out her books when a jerk who was not paying attention bumped into her. 

I ran over and pushed him. "Watch where you are going?"

"Brennen, he didn't mean to."

"Well, he needs to watch where he's going. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just calm down, and please don't do that again."

"Baby, you have to be more careful until we know. You could be carrying my child."

"Not so loud. The last thing I need is the entire school spreading rumors that may or may not be true."

"I know, and I'm sorry. You have to understand I am going to be really protective of you. I mean, I have always been protective of you except when we pestered you. I love you, and people need to be more careful."

"Let's go to class and let's not discuss the other thing except for when we are alone." She leaned in and kissed him as they walked to class. They took their seats and Jade was smiling at her. 

"What?"

"I don't know. There's something different about you."

"There's nothing different about me." 

"So, how did your five-month anniversary go?"

"It was really nice, and he was so romantic."

"Now, I know what's different; you are happy." She leaned in and whispered. "You finally took that step, didn't you?" 

"Why does everyone keep saying that?"

"You have this smile fixed permanently on your face. Damn, girl, was he that good?"