Chapter 3: First Day of School

I am normally so excited for my first day of school, but today, I am dreading school for the first time in my life. 

I don't even know if they go to my school or not. I'm sure if they do, they will cause me problems, especially since he heard my private conversation with Kasey and JoJo.

We leave for school, and I see him and his friends getting into a really nice Jeep Wrangler. I look away from them as we make our way to Monterey High School. 

When we arrived, Mom dropped me off, and I figured out where my classes were by the map. I make my way toward my first class when everyone starts hooting, and I see none other than the three amigos walking toward me. 

I stepped to the side, hoping they didn't see me, but just my luck, they saw me and stopped. Everyone is staring when the blonde lowers his sunglasses.

"Howdy, neighbor. Have you had any interesting dreams lately?" He smiles an evil smirk, and they walk away. His two friends, both eyeing me, then follow behind him.   

This girl beside me looks shocked, "You know, Brennen?"

"No, not really. He lives beside me, but he's a total douche."

"Girl, they are the alphas. They rule this school. Every girl wants to be with them, and every guy wants to be them. They normally stay with the same group of females. The preppy cheerleaders and popular crowd. You are like the first person he has spoken to that's not in their crowd."

"Well, I am fine with not being in their crowd. They are all jerks, they are rude, and stuck on themselves. I don't care for them at all."

"I have attended school with them for six years, and they have never spoken or even smiled at me. It's as if I am invisible to them."

She thought she wanted to be invisible to them as well. What better way than to become friends with someone they don't talk to? 

"Hi, I'm Harper. We just moved here like two weeks ago from Nevada."

"I'm Jade; nice to meet you. What group are you in?"

"A. What group are you in?"

"Also, A. That means we will be in the same classes. Is English your first class?"

"Yes." 

"Cool, let's go." They walked to class. In the very back sat the same three boys who had laughed at her. Several preppy girls were around their desks, and they were loving all the attention when the dark-haired douche looked at me and smiled. 

"That's Jace with the longer hair, and the one with the short hair is Hunter."

We sat toward the front, and as the class filled up, there were only a few of us who were sitting in the front. I was in the second row beside Jade.

The teacher walked in and introduced himself as Mr. Wright. He started going over the assignments and expectations for this semester. Jade and I were taking notes. When the bell rang, I got up and gathered my stuff. 

Hunter walked over, "Can I borrow your notes? I, um, forgot my pencil. You seem very smart."

I looked at him as he snickered toward his friends, "Leave me alone." I tried to walk away, and he grabbed my arm.

"I'm just trying to be nice. Don't be like that." 

"Let go of me. I heard what you and your friends said about me at the beach. So, just leave me alone." I pulled my arm free and left. Jade ran to catch up with me.

"Woah, not only did Brennen talk to you but Hunter too. What did they say about you?"

"They talked about me being plain and laughed at me. I wore a sweater and shorts to the beach to read, yet they thought I was a joke. Then they called me a stalker because the first night I moved in, I saw him with some girl he called Stephanie. I just want to be invisible to them. I want them to act like I don't even exist."