Siblings

A few weeks later, Rory was in the laundry room, folding the new baby clothes that had been washed the day before. It was now February 25th, so they were expecting the baby to come any day. Taking the tags off and washing all the clothes was one of the last things on their list of stuff to do. That and buy a few things like diapers and formula which Logan would be doing that day.

"Do you need help?" Nicky asked as he poked his head into the room.

"Don't you have football practice?" Rory asked. She wasn't a fan of Nicky playing football when he'd first asked to play 5 years before, and she still wasn't. But he'd missed out on a lot when he was sick, and his doctors said that as long as his epilepsy was under control and he wasn't having any seizures or headaches, he could play.

"They canceled it because of the snow" Nicky told her. "I don't really have anything to do so I figured you might want help"

"Come" Rory said. As she continued folding onesies, she watched Nicky match up all the socks. He was quieter than he usually was. "What's going through that head of yours?"

"You think the baby will be blonde?"

Rory was a little confused as to why that was what he was thinking about. "I don't know. Why?"

"I was just thinking because dad's blond, I'm blond, Grace and Sammy are blond. Everyone in our family has blond hair except for you"

"That's because your father has strong genes" Rory said. "All of you look like him, except for the blue eyes. That you get from me. You guys are like mini Logan huntzbergers but with blue eyes"

"I don't know how to respond when you say things like that"

Rory chuckled. "Never mind. How was school?"

"I was in the cafeteria and the lunch lady handed me my tray and said 'enjoy your lunch' and then I said 'thanks, you too'"

Rory stifled a laugh.

"It's not funny. It was embarrassing"

"My first real job after college was writing for an online magazine, following Barack Obama's campaign. I don't remember the exact words leading up to it, but I was trying to say 'the pleasure is all mine'. Instead, I opened my mouth and said 'I pleasure myself'. It was mortifying, but stuff like that happens"

"Why would you say that?" Nicky asked with a laugh.

"I didn't mean to, it was just what came out of my mouth for some reason" Rory said.

"That's way worse than my thing"

Just then Logan walked into the laundry room. "Ace"

"What?" Rory asked.

"Diapers, wipes, formula" he said. "That's it, right?"

"I think so" Rory said. "Otherwise we're forgetting something"

Just then Logan's phone rang. "Huntzberger" he said as he put the phone to his ear. "Ok...ok. Thank you. Bye"

"What was that?" Rory asked.

"Change of plans" Logan said. "I'm not going to the store"

"What are you talking about?"

"How do you feel about having a baby today?"

Rory called Lorelai to come stay with the kids and she and Logan left to go to the hospital. The kids were 15, 12, and 10, so they didn't really need a babysitter (as long as Nicky was there), but Rory didn't know how long they'd be at the hospital and she didn't want the kids to be home alone at night.