News

The next week Rory had a doctor's appointment. For the first time ever, Logan wasn't able to go with her, which also meant that she had to bring Grace.

"Sorry that she's here" Rory said "Logan and I are kinda tag teaming between her and work today"

"Are you kidding? I love getting to see babies that I delivered, when their older" Dr. Williams said "Nicky must be 5 now, right?"

"Yeah, he started kindergarten this week" Rory smiled

"Mama!" Grace shouted

"Hey" Rory said and waved at Grace "lower your voice" she signed "what do you need?"

"Thirsty" Grace signed

Rory handed Grace her water cup.

"Ok" Dr. Williams said "are you ready?"

Rory nodded and the doctor did her ultrasound.

"Ok, Rory, the baby isn't growing like he should be. since I saw you 2 weeks ago, he's grown less than we'd expect to see a fetus grow in only a couple of days" Dr. Williams said "usually, in a situation like this, when the baby stops growing, I'd induce labor, deliver the baby early, and we'd keep him in the nicu until he got bigger. You're not far enough along for that. At 22 weeks the lungs are not fully developed, he can't survive. What I'd like to do is give you a steroid injection to help mature his lungs, and then see if we can keep him in there until at least 25 weeks, which would be the earliest that I'm comfortable delivering, although the longer he's in there, the better"

"Um...I don't know. I need to call Logan" Rory said

"I'll give you some privacy" Dr. Williams said and left the room

——

"What about the Brooklyn paper?" Shiela asked

"Rory will be here later, she'll explain" Logan said "other than that, I need you to-" Logan's phone rang, interrupting him. He knew by the ringtone that it was Rory "sorry, I have to take this, I'll be right back" He stepped out of the room and answered the phone "how'd it go, Ace?"

Rory explained that was going on.

"I'll be there in 10 minutes" Logan said and hung up. He walked back into his office where Sheila was waiting for him

"Everything ok?" Sheila asked

"I don't know" Logan shook his head "I don't think so. I need to go. Talk to Brian he'll help you with this"

Less than 10 minutes later Logan was at the hospital.

The doctor explained everything and then offered to have a someone take Grace to get a snack in the cafeteria, so that Rory and Logan could figure out what they wanted to do.

They'd sat there in silence for what felt like forever until Logan finally spoke.

"What are you thinking, Ace?"

"I don't know" Rory said "I just...I'm so scared that whatever we do isn't gonna work and we'll lose this one too"

Logan took a step closer to Rory and wrapped his arms around her, holding her close and not letting go.

"Me too" Logan exhaled "but we need to make a decision"

"What decision is there? We're gonna do whatever the doctor think is best"

"Ok"

——

"I don't wanna talk about it" Rory said

"Ace, we have to"

"No we don't. Not now. If we talk about it now, I'm gonna cry, and I don't wanna cry in front of the kids" she said quietly