Samuel

Rory was sitting in the nicu, holding Sammy's hand, and Logan was standing next to her when Dr. Howard walked in with 2 other people.

"Rory, Logan, this is Dr. Marshall. He's a pediatric surgeon" Dr. Howard introduced the man on his left "and this is Dr. Wyatt, she's a cardiac surgeon" he introduced the woman on his right

"Unfortunately, your son's lung are severely underdeveloped. They have not continued to develop or get stronger, and it's hindering Sammy's ability to grow. His lungs are that of a 23 week fetus and he would be 30 weeks now, so we'd expect to see him catching up to where he'd be at around 28 or 29 weeks" Dr. Wyatt explained "I believe that the best course of action is to put him on the list for a lung transplant"

Logan put his hand on Rory's shoulder

"We will continue doing everything we can until he can get a transplant, but it's no longer a question of if he'll need one, it's how soon we can do it" she continued "his lungs will not be able to sustain his body as he continues to get bigger and the longer we wait the sicker he'll get. It needs to happen as soon as possible"

"Do it" Logan said "put him on the list"

——

Jump to 6 weeks later. It's 2 and a half weeks before Christmas and Sammy is almost 12 weeks old.

Rory and Logan were cuddled up in bed and Rory was fiddling with her rings. 

"What's on your mind, Ace?" Logan asked

"Nothing" Rory said

"Something's bothering you, I can tell. You always play with your rings when you're upset"

"Christmas" Rory said quietly

"What about it?"

"We're gonna have to choose between being with Nicky and Grace or being with Sammy"

"We can split time" Logan said "you wanted your mom and Luke to come anyway, so we can all spend Christmas morning together and then later in the afternoon we'll go see Sammy"

"I hate that we have to do that"

"I know"

They eventually fell asleep but were woken up around 1am by Logan's cell phone ringing.

"Answer it! Answer it!" Rory said, frantically "it could be Sammy!"

Rory watched as the look on Logan's face changed from fear to relief, as he listened to the person on the other end of the call.

"Ok..." Logan said "yeah, we're on our way. Thank you so much. Bye"

"Well?" Rory asked, impatiently

"They have lungs" Logan smiled

"For Sammy?!"

"Yes, for Sammy" Logan laughed

"We have to go to the hospital!" Rory said "what are we gonna do about Nicky and Grace?"

"You go now, I'll stay here and try to get Honor or Josh on the phone, and then as soon as someone's here to watch them I'll join you"

"Ok"

——

"Do you have any questions?" Dr. Wyatt asked after explaining the surgery to Rory and Logan.