Friends

Rory and Logan had decided to start working from home when they could, to spend more time with Nicky and Grace. One day in May, Rory and Logan took Nicky to see the school where he was gonna be starting preschool in September.

They met with the principal of the school and then the preschool teacher, Abbie, gave them a tour of the separate but attached preschool and kindergarten building.

"And then this will be your classroom" Abbie said when they made it to the classroom at the end of the tour. Nicky was very shy and hadn't said a word the whole time.

"What do you think, bubba?" Rory asked

Nicky let go of Rory's hand and signed "it's big"

"I know" Rory signed back

"Hey Nicky, why don't you go play with those toys over there while I talk to your parents?" Abbie said

Nicky looked at Rory who nodded. Nicky went over to the other side of the room.

"I apologize if this comes off rude but does he not speak?" Abbie asked

"He does" Logan said "he's just shy"

"Do you mind if I ask why the sign language?"

"His sister's deaf" Rory told her "and he knows that most people don't know sign language so when he's feeling shy he'll use it"

"There's actually gonna be a deaf child in the class" Abbie said "if you don't mind, could I give the parents your number? They're a little worried about her making friends and it might ease their worries if they know that there's another child who can sign"

"Go for it"

——

A few days later Logan knocked on the doorframe of the open playroom door where Nicky was.

"Hi daddy"

"Come here" Logan said and sat down on the rug. Nicky walked over and sat down on his lap. "You're gonna have a play date this afternoon, ok?"

"With Ellie?" Nicky asked

"No. Not with Ellie"

"With Ava and Jenny?"

"No. With a girl who's gonna be in preschool with you next year"

"Why?"

"So that you'll both have a friend when you start" Logan said "Is that ok?"

"Yes"

"But you have to use sign language, because she's deaf, ok?"

"Like Grace?"

"Yes. Like Grace"

"Does she have magnet ears like Grace?"

"No"

A few hour later the intercom buzzed.

AN: from this point you can assume that when someone's talking and Emma's in the room, they're signing as well

"Hi" Rory said

"Hi, in Julie" Julie said "and this is Emma"

"Nice to meet you, I'm Rory. This is Nicky"

Emma waved and Nicky waved back.

"How old are you?" Emma asked

"Still 3, but I'll be 4 soon"

"I'm already 4"

"Do you know how to talk?"

Emma shook her head

"Why don't you show Emma the playroom?" Rory asked

Both kids went upstairs and Rory and Julie went into the kitchen for coffee.

"So you're daughter's deaf?" Julie asked

"Yeah" Rory said and put a cup of coffee in front of Julie

"Thank you"

"If you look behind you, her cochlear implants are actually stuck to the fridge"

Julie turned to look at the fridge and chuckled "that's an interesting place to put them"

"My husband puts them there, when he doesn't wanna go upstairs to put them in the case" Rory said

"Where are they?" Juliet asked "your husband and daughter"

"They went to get a blanket from his sister's house"

Julie gave Rory a confused look

"My mom made these blankets for each of them when I was pregnant" Rory said "Grace takes hers everywhere, and last night we forgot it at my sister in law's house. Bedtime was not fun"

"Emma has one of those" Julie said "she doesn't take it everywhere anymore but she'd still lose her mind if it got lost"

Just then Logan got back and walked into the kitchen, holding Grace.

"Hey" Logan said

"Julie, this is Logan" Rory said "Logan, Julie"

"Nice to meet you" Logan said and extended his hand

"Likewise" Julie said and shook Logan's hand.

"Hi baby" Rory said and took Grace from Logan

"You know she can't hear you, right?" Logan joked

"Speaking of which..." Rory walked over to the fridge and put Grace's processors back on her head 

"We actually wanted to do the cochlears, but she wasn't a candidate" Julie said "she does have hearing aids, but they don't really do much and she doesn't like wearing them"

A little while later Rory, Logan, and Julie were sitting on the couch when Nicky and Emma came in.

"Mama!" Nicky said and signed "we built a tower out of the magnet blocks and it's really tall"

"It's taller than Nicky when he stands on a chair" Emma signed

"That's awesome, but maybe we shouldn't be standing in chairs" Rory signed

Nicky just shrugged

"Come look" Emma signed

——

Later that night Rory and Logan were laying in bed. Logan had his arm around Rory and her head was on his shoulder with her hand on his chest.

"I'm happy that he'll have a friend already when he starts" Rory said

"Me too"

"He's just so shy, and he doesn't talk to anyone. I was worried about him making friends"

"I know"

A few minutes later, Logan glanced at the clock "hey"

"What?" Rory asked and looked up at him

"12:01" he kissed her "happy anniversary, Ace"

"Happy anniversary"