Fundraiser

Flash forward to mid-November, Nicky is about 2 and a half months old. It was the day before the fundraiser and Honor was over at Logan and Rory's apartment. Honor and Rory were sitting on the rug, in the nursery.

"Why isn't this thing put together, already?"

"I haven't used it yet"

"Seriously?" Honor asked in disbelief "you're telling that in over 2 months, you've never been away from Nicky for long enough that you had to pump so someone else could feed him?"

"I haven't been away from him at all" Rory said "partially because if I'm being honest, this thing scares me"

"This thing is your freedom" Honor said "this is what allows you to leave the house without your baby. You shouldn't be scared of it"

"Well, scared or not, I have to use this thing, because tomorrow I'm leaving my baby with my mother for several hours, and unfortunately for him, my boobs are coming with me"

——

Around 7, the next evening Rory and Logan were in their room, finishing getting ready for the fundraiser.

Rory walked out of the bathroom after doing her hair and makeup,as she passed Logan, he grabbed her hand, pulling her close to him, and put his hands on her waist.

"You look incredible" he said and kissed her

"Thank you" Rory smiled "you don't look too bad, yourself"

Just then, the intercom buzzed. Logan went downstairs to let Lorelai in.

"Well, don't we look fancy?" Lorelai said when she stepped off the elevator

"Hi Lorelai" Logan chuckled

"Hi. Where's Rory?"

"Right here" Rory said as she came down the stairs, holding Nicky

"Are you ok?" Lorelai asked "you look nervous"

"I'm just a little worried about leaving him"

"He'll be fine" Lorelai said and took Nicky from Rory "we're gonna have a great time. Aren't we Nicky?"

"If he actually answers you, I'll give you a million dollars" Rory joked

"How long is that offer good for?" Lorelai asked, playing along

"2 minutes" Rory chuckled "alright, we have to leave. I fed him about an hour ago, so you'll probably need to feed him around 8:30, before you put him to sleep. There are bottles in the fridge. Also fair warning, Logan tried to give him a bottle this morning, and he hated us for it, so he might be super pissed"

"You never gave him a bottle before today?"

"I've been with him. There was no reason to"

"I guess that true"

"Anyway...you know where everything is and his schedule is on the fridge. We both have our phones on, so just call if you need anything, and thank you"

"Have fun"

——

Logan and Rory had just gotten to the party. They were walking around when Sheila and Steven came over to them.

"Hey" Steven said

"Long time no see" Sheila said "by the way, your job is way harder than I thought"

"You seem to have things under control" Logan said

"How are you? How's the baby?" Steven asked

"We're tired, and the baby's loud" Logan joked

"Logan!" Rory scolded

"Relax, I'm kidding" Logan chuckled "we're good. The baby's good. Thanks"

"Champagne?" A waiter appeared next to them, with a tray of champagne glasses.

Everyone except Rory took a glass

"You're not drinking?" Steven asked

"No" Rory said "I'm not drinking"

A little while into the party Rory and Logan got up at the front the room to make a short speech.

"If I can have your attention for just a moment" Logan said "as you know, tonight is not just a fancy party, it is a fundraiser for the New York City children's hospital. There are donation boxes set up around the room. We ask that if you can, please make a donation"

"For every dollar donated, the Huntzberger Publishing Group will donate 2 dollars" Rory added

They finished their speech and the party continued.

Logan was talking to the editor of a paper that HPG owned when Rory caught his eye from across the room, she was talking to a group of women that worked in the HPG building. Logan excused himself from the conversation and grabbed a glass of water, before heading over to Rory.

He walked up next to Rory, put his hand on her back, and handed her the glass of water.

"What's this for?" Rory asked

"You haven't had anything to drink since we left the house" Logan said

"You guys are so cute" Joanne said

"Thank you"

——

Logan and Rory got home a little before 1am.

"Mom?"

"Living room" Lorelai said

Rory and Logan walked into the living room where Lorelai was sitting on the couch and Nicky was sleeping.

"How was he?" Logan asked

"You guys seriously downplayed how much he did not want that bottle" Lorelai said

"Was it really terrible?" Rory asked, both feeling bad the Lorelai had to deal with it, and worried that Nicky hadn't eaten.

"He eventually stopped screaming and let me feed him, but let me tell you, that kid of yours has some strong lungs"

Logan chuckled

"If it makes you feel any better, I seriously overestimated how long I could comfortably go without feeding him" Rory said

"Why would that make me feel better?"

Rory shrugged

"Go take care of your boobs" Lorelai said

"Bye mom, thanks again" Rory said and headed upstairs

"When did he fall asleep?" Logan asked

"I fed him a little before 9, he fell asleep right after, and he hasn't woken up"

"So he'll be up soon" Logan mumbled to himself

"Probably"

"Alright, thanks a lot Lorelai"

"Anytime"

"Drive safe"

"Good night"

Logan picked up Nicky, being careful not to wake him, and went upstairs. He put Nicky in the bassinet that was set up in his and Rory's room, before going to change.

Half an hour later Logan and rory were cuddled up in bed. Logan has his arm around Rory and her head was on his shoulder.

"What are you thinking about?" Logan asked

"Nicky" Rory exhaled "I'm always thinking about Nicky"

"Me too" Logan chuckled slightly "he's so amazing. Even when it's 3am and he's screaming his little head off, he's amazing"

"He's perfect"