New Addition

January 2028:

Rory was sitting at her desk, trying to finish what she was doing before she had to go pick up Grace and Sammy from school. All 3 kids were in different schools. Nicky's school was not only really close to the house but his best friend Allie-who happened to live next door- also went there, so if the weather was decent, they liked to walk together. Otherwise Nicky (and sometimes Allie-if she needed) would get a ride to school with Logan who drove Grace and Sammy to school every morning and Rory who picked them up.

She was just about ready to leave the office for the day to go pick up the kids when her phone rang. "Huntzberger" she said as she put the phone to her ear. A few minutes into what she thought might've been the most unexpected phone call of her life, Logan walked in, so she put the call on speaker. "Mrs Meyers, I'm sorry but my husband just walked into the room, would you mind repeating that?"

"The adoption lady?" Logan signed. Rory nodded. Back before Nicky was diagnosed with epilepsy, Rory and Logan had decided to adopt a baby. They went through all the steps to get their names on a list to adopt, but when Nicky was diagnosed with cancer, they decided that they had their hands full and another baby probably wasn't a good idea. So they had their names taken off the list of potential adoptive parents. Bethany Meyers was a social worker at the adoption agency.

"There was a mistake in our system" Bethany said. "Your file was supposed to be deactivated, and I'm not sure how it happened, but somebody picked you guys"

"Picked us to get a baby?" Logan asked.

"Yes" Bethany said. "There's no pressure on you here. If you don't want the baby, we'll understand, but if you do...she'll be here in March"

"Girl" Rory signed. Bethany said 'she', the baby was a girl. "How long do we have to decide?" She asked.

"The baby's due on March 3rd" Bethany said. "So technically you have 6 weeks, and you should take your time, it's a big decision, but the sooner you can give an answer, the better"

"Ok" Rory said and looked at Logan. She couldn't tell what he was thinking. Once the call ended, Rory and Logan both started quiet for a few moments until Rory broke the silence. "What do you wanna do here?"

"I don't know" Logan said. That was when Rory was able to tell that he wanted the baby.

"You want to say yes" Rory said.

"It's not just about what I want" Logan said.

"Logan, you always wanted another, and I think you still do" Rory said. It was true that she did too, but Logan was the one who first brought up having another baby, and the desire for another child didn't just go away because back then it wasn't a good time to have another.

"I did, and I think I still do, but what about the kids? What about the fact that when this baby goes to college, we'll be 60? What about-"

"Logan" Rory interrupted him. She had all the same concerns as him, but it didn't matter. Someone picked them to give their child to and that meant a lot to her. To Rory that meant that even if it didn't happen when they originally planned, something that they'd wanted so badly was happening. "Do you want this baby?"

Logan was quiet for a moment. He could tell that Rory wanted the baby. "Honestly, yes. I know that our kids are older already, and that we're getting older, but someone picked us. That baby's ours. I don't know how I could say no"

Rory smiled softly. "Are we having another baby?"

"I think so"

Later that evening, Rory and Logan were sitting in the kitchen, talking.