Speech

Fast forward to January 2017, Grace is now about 20 months old (almost 2) and while she doesn't talk at all, she uses sign language.

Logan, Rory, and the kids were having dinner with the Huntzberger.

"What do you need?" Logan signed when Grace started getting upset

"Ears" Grace signed

Logan pulled Grace's hair into a ponytail before putting her processors on.

"Do you have to pull her hair back to put those on?" Honor asked

"We don't have to, but it makes it easier" Rory said if her hair is all over the place the wires get tangled in it"

"Those damned things are useless" Mitchum said

"Kids in the room" Honor said "Watch your language"

"What difference does it make?" Mitchum said "Yours is old enough to know not to repeat it. That one doesn't talk anyway" he gestured to Nicky. Nicky was very shy, and usually didn't say much around Mitchum and Shira. "And the little one, can't hear me anyway. If those things worked she'd be talking by now"

"Nathan. Nicky. Grace." Logan said "they have names. And it wouldn't matter if the implants worked if you'd learn some sign language"

"Yeah, yeah, whatever" Mitchum rolled his eyes "I doubt Rory's parents learned"

"They did, actually" Rory said "and my step parents...and my grandparents...and my sisters"

"And we all learned" Honor said and gestured to herself, Josh, and Nathan

"That's beside the point" Shira said "if you would just get her cured, nobody would have to learn and she'd be able to talk"

"She does talk!" Logan said "and there's nothing wrong with her!"

"Sign language is not talking" Mitchum said

Rory could see Logan getting angry, and didn't want a fight, so she changed the subject "Nathan, how's school going?"

"It's good, I guess" Nathan mumbled

"Somebody is not a fan of 3rd grade" Josh said

"Only because math is dumb" Nathan said

"Don't worry, it's not that important anyway" Logan said

"Logan!" Honor scolded

"Am I wrong?" Logan chuckled "how often do you use math in your day to day life?"

"Not the point!"

——

The following Friday they had dinner with the Gilmores.

"And then Teddy jumped on the bed, and then mommy got scared, and then she dropped the cup, and it broke" Nicky said as he was telling everyone about the previous night when he'd been sitting with Rory, on her bed and Teddy jumped into the bed, startling her, causing her to drop the glass of water she was holding, breaking it.

"Which for the record is why we have a 'no cat in the bedrooms' rule" Rory said

"Seems like a good rule" Richard said

"A good and not very well enforced rule" Logan chuckled

"Mama" Grace said and tapped Rory's leg

Everyone's eyes shot over to Grace and Rory. Rory put her hand over her mouth.

"Did you just-? Did she-?" Rory stammered "please tell me someone else just heard that"

"We heard it" Emily smiled

Not wanting to make a big deal Rory just asked Grace what she needed.

"Water" Grace signed

Logan pulled Grace's sippy cup out of the diaper bag and gave it to her. Grace walked back over to where Richard and Emily had set up some toys, in the corner.

"You ok there, Ace?" Logan asked Rory, who looked like she was going to cry

"She said mama" Rory whispered

"Yeah..." Logan chuckled softly "she did"

——

A couple of weeks later the gang were all in Rory and Logan's apartment, with all the kids.

"Mama! Mama! Mama! Mama! Mama! Mama! Mama! Mama!" Grace babbled as she ran around the living room

"She's really taking the talking thing and running with it, huh?" Rosemary said

"I love it" Rory smiled "although, she's not really talking, she only says mama"

"Poor Logan" Finn chuckled

"No, not poor Logan" Logan said

"Hey, does anyone know what they're doing up there?" Stephanie asked. Nicky, Liam, Ellie, Ava, and Jenny, we're all upstairs, in the playroom.

"I don't know, but whatever's entertaining four 4 year olds and an 8 year old for this long is going on the toy hall of fame" Colin said  

"Alright, I have news" Finn said "I bought a ring"

"You're kidding!" Juliet gasped

Much to everyone's surprise, Finn had been going out with the same person for over 2 years.

"Poor Isabella" Logan joked "she'll be stuck with you for good now"

"Don't be an asshole, Logan" Juliet said

"Hey! Kid in the room, watch your mouth" Rory said

"Sorry"

"She's only stuck with me if she says yes" Finn said

"She's gonna say yes" Steph said

"I still can't get over Finn having a steady girlfriend, let alone Finn getting married"

——

Jump to February 2017. 

Logan had to go into the office one day, and got home late. When he got home the kids were already asleep and Rory was sitting at the kitchen island.

"Ace?" Logan called out when he walked into the apartment

"Kitchen"

Logan could hear that Rory was upset, and had been crying. "What's wrong?"

Rory nodded to something on the counter

"Shit"