Jump

One Friday in October (2020), Logan walked into the house with Grace and Sammy after picking them up from school on his way home from work, and found Rory in the kitchen, talking on the phone.

"Mama!" Sammy ran to Rory and wrapped his arms around her legs.

"Hi baby" Rory said and ruffled his hair.

"What?" Lorelai asked through the phone.

"No, not you" Rory said. "Logan just walked in with the kids"

"Tell them I say hi"

"Grandma says hi"

"Are we going to grandma?" Sammy asked

"She's coming here tomorrow" Rory said

"Yeah, so you wanna tell me what the plan is for tomorrow?" Lorelai asked. She knew that Rory needed her to babysit, but she wasn't clear on who or when exactly.

"Both boys have doctor's appointments tomorrow. Nicky has chemo and Sammy just has a regular checkup, but we don't wanna bring Grace to the hospital with us for no reason"

"So you need me to watch her?"

"Yes please" Rory said

"Just text me and let me know what time you want me to come"

"Thank you"

"Where's Nicky?" Logan asked once Rory hung up.

"He's upstairs, reading about geography"

"So I see we've started a new focus" Logan said. Nicky was still recovering from his surgery so he hadn't been to school since the second week. His doctor said it would be ok for him to do his schoolwork from home so he was, but in addition to that he'd also been jumping from topic to topic. He spent a few days reading about insects, then it was the solar system, after that was volcanos, and now he'd moved on to geography.

"Yeah, he asked me earlier why Wyoming exists" Rory said

"What?"

"He came over to me and said 'mom, why does Wyoming exist?' How am I supposed to respond to stuff like that?"

"What's his beef with Wyoming?" Logan chuckled.

"I have no idea"

The next morning Rory and Logan headed to the hospital with Nicky and Sammy.

When they got there Logan took Nicky to get his chemo and Rory took Sammy to see the pediatrician. All 3 kids saw the same pediatrician and they have been since Nicky was born.

"Sammy, would you like to go play while I talk to your mommy?" Dr Miller asked and gestured to a small table in the corner of the room that had some toys on it. "Alright so size wise he is catching up. He's still very small as I'm sure you know, but he's getting closer to catching up with his peers. Other than that he seems very healthy, and developmentally on track. His lungs sound great, and I see no signs of rejection. Of course he'll continue to take his anti rejection medication, and I recommend this for all children, but especially those who are immune compromised, that they have a flu vaccine around this time of year when we tend to see a spike in flu cases. If you'd like, I can give it to him now"

"That's alright, we're actually gonna take all 3 of the kids to get it together" Rory said.

"Alright, then do you have any questions?"

"I don't think so. No"

"Ok then. Is it alright with you if I offer him a lollipop?"

"I'm sure he'd love that" Rory said. "Sammy, come here" she said and Sammy walked back over to them.