Sudden

Flash forward to January 2019. Lorelai was over at Rory and Logan's house. Nicky and Grace were both downstairs and Sammy was sitting on Rory's lap.

"I love how all of your kids always had the wonkiest long hair because you refuse to cut it" Lorelai laughed. She wasn't wrong. Rory and Logan cut Nicky's hair for the first time when he was a little over a year old, but Grace and Sammy both had never had a haircut. Sammy was almost a year and a half old and hair was starting to get pretty long. "And his hair is longer than Nicky's was"

"I know, but he's so little, and once you cut their hair they look grown up" Rory ran her fingers through Sammy's hair "besides look how cute his little curls are"  she kissed the top of Sammy's hair "Logan's dying to do it though"

"What am I dying to do?" Logan asked as he walked into the room

"Cut Sammy's hair" Lorelai said

"Oh yeah, as soon as I convince Rory, I'm taking him to get it cut"

"Mommy!" Nicky came running upstairs from the basement.

"What happened?" Rory asked

"Grace is stuck in the bathroom"

"She what?" Logan asked

"She went to the bathroom and now the door won't open" Nicky told them

Everyone went downstairs and unfortunately the bathroom door was, in fact, stuck. They weren't sure if the door was stuck or if Grace had just locked it and didn't unlock it.

"Grace!" Logan shouted and knocked on the door. "Unlock the door, sweetie. Can she even hear us?"

"Nicky, does she have her ears on?" Rory asked

"I don't remember" Nicky said

"Alright, I'm gonna call someone" Rory said

"Who are you gonna call?" Logan asked

"Ghostbusters?" Lorelai joked

"Not funny" Rory said and went upstairs to call a locksmith.

"Ace, wait a second!" Logan called out. "Don't call yet!"

Rory came back downstairs. "Why?"

"I think I can take the door off" Logan said. "I just need a screwdriver" 

Logan got a screwdriver and started working on getting the door off the hinges.

Lorelai had taken the boys upstairs, but a little while later she came down, holding Grace's processors. "Bad news"

"So she's stuck in there, and she can't hear us?" Rory said

"Looks like it"

"Logan?"

"I'm working on it" Logan said

10 minutes later Grace was free. 

"Mama" Grace went straight to hug Rory.

Rory wrapped her arms tightly around Grace and rubbed her back. She picked her up and they went upstairs to where Lorelai was sitting in the living room with Nicky and Sammy.

"Hey, you're free" Lorelai said

"She can't hear you"

"Is she ok?"

"A little upset, but she's fine"

——

Rory and Logan spent the next couple of months finishing up the preparations for their vow renewal. 2 weeks before the renewal, Rory and Logan were in bed, asleep. A little before 4am, Rory was woken up by the sound of Sammy coughing on the baby monitor. The cough sounded pretty bad, so Rory got up and went into his room. Rory thought he'd be sleeping but he was awake and sitting up in the crib. "Why are you awake, buddy?"