Hair

In September Nicky had surgery to remove the tumor from his lungs and 2 weeks later he started chemotherapy. He also discovered that they make superhero themed Lego and was now more obsessed with Lego than ever. Lorelai and Luke had also had a fire in their house and were staying with Rory and Logan while the repairs were being done.

One morning in October Rory woke up with Logan's arm around her and her head on his chest.

"You know, I like the short hair" Logan said. The day before Rory had gotten a haircut. She went from her hair being past her waist to it barely passing her shoulders.

She chuckled softly. "You do not". Logan liked it better when her hair was long and she knew that.

"Yeah well maybe I changed my mind" he said. It was true that he liked Rory's hair when it was long, but she donated her hair to an organization that makes wigs for kids with cancer. That kinda made him change his mind. Besides, it was her hair and he thought she should do whatever she wanted, regardless of his opinion.

Just then there was a knock on the door. Any of the kids would've just walked in so they knew it was Lorelai. Luke wouldn't be knocking on their bedroom door.

"Come in" Rory said as she sat up.

The door opened and Lorelai was standing in the doorway, holding Sammy. "Does this belong to you?" Lorelai and Luke had been staying there for 3 days and Sammy had been climbing into bed with them every morning. Lorelai wouldn't have brought him into Rory and Logan's room, but Rory had told her that she could.

"Come here, baby" Rory said and Lorelai put Sammy on the foot of the bed.

"I found grandma" Sammy said

"I know, but I don't think grandma likes being woken up at 6 in the morning" Rory said

Just then they heard Nicky coughing and a moment later Shadow ran into the room and started barking at Logan.

"I'm coming" Logan said. They were warned before Nicky's surgery that he'd be coughing a lot afterwards, but the coughing seemed to stress Shadow out. Logan followed Shadow into Nicky's room where he was still sleeping and had stopped coughing by the time Logan got there. Logan gave shadow a treat before going back to his and Rory's bedroom which was now empty. He went downstairs and found Rory and Lorelai in the kitchen. "I leave the room for 2 seconds and everyone's gone"

"We needed coffee" Rory said.

Logan chuckled and kissed her quickly. "Sammy?"

"Playroom"

Later that afternoon Logan, Luke, and Lorelai were all at work, and Grace and Sammy were at school, so Rory and Nicky decided to watch a movie. Halfway through Superman Nicky fell asleep with his head on Rory's lap. Rory turned the TV of and answered some emails on her phone until she heard the front door open.

"Ace?" Logan called out.

"Shhh"

Logan walked into her living room and leaned down to kiss Rory. "I need to talk to you about something"

Rory carefully moved Nicky off her lap and out his head on a pillow before going into the kitchen with Logan. He started saying something, but very quickly noticed that Rory was distracted by something else. "Ace, are you ok?"

"I have his hair in my hand" Rory said. She'd been mindlessly stroking Nicky's head while he was laying on her and she didn't realize until that moment that she had a bunch of Nicky's blond hairs in her hand.

They always knew it might happen, and at the end of the day it was just hair, but it just felt like one more crappy thing that was happening.

A few days went by and Nicky was losing more and more hair. On Thursday morning Rory and Logan sat down to have a conversation with Nicky.