June

"Here bubba" Rory said and handed Nicky a string cheese

"Fank you"

The intercom buzzed. Rory checked and saw that it was Lorelai so she buzzed her up.

"Why am I looking at a naked 2 year old?" Lorelai asked when she stepped off the elevator

"He's not naked, and he's not 2" Rory said

"Ok...why am I looking at an almost 2 year old, in his underwear?"

"Because potty training is messy"

"I brought your mail" Lorelai said and handed Rory a stack of envelopes

Rory looked through the envelopes until she saw one that caught her attention.

"Logan!" Rory called out to Logan, who was working in the office "it came!"

"done in 5 minutes!"

"What came?" Lorelai asked

"After the miscarriage I had all these tests done to try and figure out why it happened, and how we can keep it from happening again" Rory told her "these are the results. I can't actually understand them, but we have a doctor's appointment this week"

——

A few days later Rory and Logan were sitting in Dr William's office.

"It's that simple?" Rory asked

"It's that simple" Dr Williams smiled "take the injections, go about your business, and hopefully soon you'll be back here, telling me you're pregnant"

"Thank you" Logan said

"I will say that since you had a hard time getting pregnant the first time and your body has been through a lot since then, you might need to be very patient"

Rory nodded

"the injections are hormone based, you might experience mood swings, or feel overly emotional, similar to how you would feel during pregnancy" Dr Williams continued "you can't drink alcohol while taking the meds and if possible no caffeine, either."

——

The next day Logan dropped Nicky off in daycare on his way up to his office.

"Good morning, Mr Huntzberger" Maggie said when Logan walked into the daycare, holding Nicky "good morning, Nicky"

"Hi" Logan smiled "there are extra clothes and his blanket, in the bag"

After leaving Nicky at daycare Logan got a cup of coffee for himself and one for Rory before heading to the conference room where he, Rory, Sheila, Steven, and Joanne, would likely be spending most of their day.

Logan walked into the conference room "Nicky is in daycare, and this is for you" he held out a mug for Rory

"Logan..."

"Decaf, Ace"

"Thank you" Rory smiled "alright, you didn't miss much, but someone's gonna need to go visit the paper in Michigan, because that place is a disaster"

"Yeah, we could probably do with a new editor over there" Logan said

That afternoon just Rory and Sheila were in the conference room when Nicky came running in, one of the daycare assistants not far behind.

"Mommy!" Nicky ran to Rory and wrapped his arms around her leg

"Hi bubba!" Rory picked him up

"Mrs Huntzberger, I'm so sorry"

"That's ok Connie. What's going on?"

"I wanna stay here!" Nicky said and wrapped his arms around Rory's neck

"Again, I'm sorry, but he knows that you guys are in the building, and we couldn't calm him down" Connie said

"It's alright" Rory said "He can stay up here. Can you just have someone bring up his bag?"

"Of course" Connie said and left the room

"You wanna say hi to Sheila?" Rory asked

Nicky turned and buried his face in Rory's shoulder

"I guess not" Sheila chuckled

"You sit right here, ok?" Rory said as she put Nicky down in a chair

"Ok" Nicky smiled

"Good"

A little while later Logan walked into the room

"Daddy!" Nicky said, excitedly

"Where did you come from?" Logan asked

"You don't know where he came from?" Rory joked

"Not what I meant" Logan chuckled as he picked up Nicky and kissed his cheek "why's he up here?"

"You know, I finally understand why there are always kids up here" Rory said "It's because they know that their parents are in the building, so the workers don't really have a choice when a kid is crying and screaming that they want their parents"

"I can't speak for everyone, but I love when people have their kids up here" Sheila said

"And as long as they're not disrupting anyone's work, we don't mind that they're up here" Rory said

——

A few days later the gang was all at Rory and Logan's apartment.

"So, you have to stick yourself with a needle every night?" Rosemary asked "I don't think I could do that"

"I couldn't" Rory said "Logan does it"

"They're kind like smaller epipens" Logan said "It's not hard"

"I don't think I could stick Steph with a needle" Colin said

"Plus no alcohol and no caffeine at all..." Juliet said

"Well, it's either that or our chances of getting pregnant are like 60 percent and the chance of that baby making it to the second trimester are even worse" Rory said "I can take a few needle sticks"

That night Rory was in the bedroom after putting Nicky to sleep. She was sitting on the edge of the bed and Logan was next to her, holding her injection.

"You ready?" Logan asked

"No" Rory sniffled

"Hey" Logan noticed she was crying "what's going on?"

"I'm sorry" Rory said, through tears

"What?"

"I'm the reason that we can't have another baby. Because my hormones don't work"

Logan put the injection down behind him and wrapped his arms around Rory.

"This is not your fault, ok?" Logan said

Rory nodded slightly and wiped her tears

"Hey" Logan said, getting Rory to look up "I love you, ok?"

"Love you too"

——

AN: what I imagine Nicky looks like.

Except with bluer eyes