Sick Day

January 2020:

Early one Tuesday morning, Nicky walked into Rory and Logan's room where they were asleep.

"Daddy" Nicky whispered and tapped Logan's shoulder.

"What's wrong, buddy?" Logan mumbled.

"I don't fell good"

"Does your head hurt, or do you just not feel well?" Logan asked. There was a big difference between Nicky having a headache and being sick. Sickness was fine and not really anything to worry about, but if it was his head it was likely because of his epilepsy.

"I just don't feel good" 

"Come here" Logan said. Nicky moved closer and Logan put his hand against his forehead. "Alright" he got out of bed. "Come, I'll give you some medicine and I think you're gonna stay home today"

It was decided that Rory would work from home that day to stay with Nicky and Sammy who had also woken up sick.

After lunch Sammy was taking a nap, Sammy was watching a movie in Rory and Logan's bedroom, and Rory was working at the kitchen island. At one point Rory went to check on Nicky and found that he was asleep. As she was leaving the room, she heard crying downstairs. As far as she and Logan were aware, Sammy had gotten himself out of his crib for the first time on Christmas and in the 2 weeks since, he'd done it several times. They'd gotten a little bed for him, but since he was still so small they were trying to hold off on making the switch for as long as possible.

Rory went downstairs and found Sammy in the office. Her best guess was that he woke up, went looking for her, and got scared when he realized that he was alone downstairs.

"Mama!" Sammy cried and reached for Rory.

"What happened?" Rory asked as she picked him up and wiped the tears that were rolling down his cheeks. He put his head down on her shoulder.

"No" Sammy said

"No what?" Rory asked

"No"

"Ok" Rory said.

Once Sammy calmed down Rory got him a snack and they went into the living room. Rory was sitting on the couch, watching Sammy who insisted that he needed to sit on the rug.

"What's this?" Sammy asked and pulled a large book out of the coffee table.

"Oh, that's the photo album from mine and daddy's wedding" Rory said. While they didn't really have a wedding, they did have a photographer to take pictures of them and their family while they were all dressed up. Once they got the pictures back from the photographer, Honor sent them to a place that printed the photos directly onto the pages of a book.

"I see it" Sammy said and brought it over to Rory.

"Come" Rory lifted him into her lap. After flipping through a few pictures from the ceremony itself, reading the vows, exchanging rings, first kiss, etc... Rory turned the page to reveal a picture of her and Logan with all of their family members.

"It's grandma!" Sammy pointed to Lorelai in the book. All of the kids had a great relationship with Lorelai but something about Sammy's relationship with her was extra special.

"Yeah, that's our whole family" Rory said. "Everyone's in here"

"Where's me?" Sammy asked

"You weren't born yet"

"But where's me?" Sammy asked. Rory was started to regret her choice of words. To Sammy, the whole family included him. It didn't matter that the picture was taken well before he was born.