Decision

Sometime in September Rory had another doctor's appointment. She had had several appointments and tests done over the past few months.

Dr. Williams had been standing in the room, looking over Rory's chart for several minutes, without saying anything. Eventually Rory couldn't take it anymore.

"Dr Williams?" Rory asked

"I think you should try IVF" Dr. Williams said

"What?" Logan asked

"IVF" she repeated "I think it's gonna be your best option here" she said "you can keep trying but I think it's unlikely that you'll get pregnant naturally"

"Um...how-how would that work?" Rory stuttered

"Usually you'd start with hormone therapy, but you're already doing that, so we could start the next step right away" Dr. Williams said "we would take eggs from you" she looked at Rory "sperm from you" she looked at Logan "fertilize the eggs outside of your body, then implant then in your uterus"

Rory and Logan looked at each other

"The whole process would take between 6 and 8 weeks, depending on where you are in your cycle when we start"

"Is it safe?" Logan asked

"It's main risk is that you'd have a higher chance of miscarriage or an ectopic pregnancy, which wouldn't be viable" Dr. Williams told them "you would also have an increased chance of multiple births"

"Like twins?" Rory asked

"Yes. It's not a guarantee, but the chance of having twins or triplets is higher with IVF"

——

Later that day Rory was sitting on the couch, reading pamphlets about IVF that the doctor had given them.

"Mama" Nicky said softly

"Yeah bubba?"

Nicky climbed up into Rory's lap and snuggled into her. Rory wrapped her arms around him and rubbed his back.

"What's wrong baby?" Rory asked

Nicky just buried his face in Rory's chest. Rory pressed the back of her hand to Nicky's forehead, feeling that he had a fever.

"Do you feel sick?"

Nicky nodded

"Alright" Rory got up and put Nicky down on the couch "I'll be right back"

Rory gave Nicky some baby Tylenol before calling the pediatrician to make him a doctor's appointment.

That night after putting Nicky to bed, Logan joined Rory in their bedroom.

"I think we should do it" Rory said

"The IVF?" Logan asked

"Yeah" Rory nodded "I mean, you heard what the doctor said"

Logan smiled slightly "I came in here to say the same thing"

"So we're doing it?"

"We're doing it"

Just then Nicky appeared in the doorway.

"What's wrong, Bubba?" Rory asked

Nicky just reached his arms out towards Rory. Rory picked him up and he laid his head on her shoulder. 

"Do you want me to call and make you an appointment?" Logan offered

Rory looked at the clock "it's late. We'll do it tomorrow"