School

The Friday before the first day of school, Rory, Logan, and the kids had dinner with Richard, Emily, Lorelai, Luke, and April.

"What's this thing called again?" Lorelai asked, looking at the device in her hands.

"A Roger pen" Logan said

"You're gonna have to explain how this works again, because a see a black stick on the end of a string" Luke said

"Grace can't hear everything even with the implants, especially if there's other noise in the room. Her teacher wears that around her neck and it transmits sound directly to the implants" Rory said "it's not so important for preschool but it will be when she's a little older"

"That's so cool" April said

"She's in the other room, try calling her over" Logan said

"Grace" Lorelai said softly and a minute later Grace came running in "awesome"

"Come here baby" Rory said and pulled Grace onto her lap

"Her head looks better" Luke said

"Ugh" Rory sighed and rested her chin on Grace's head "I still can't even believe that I let that happen"

"It wasn't your fault" Logan said

"How do you know? You weren't there"

"But I was" Lorelai said "and it was my stuff she tripped over and my coffee table that she hit her head on"

"So it was your fault?" Emily asked

"It was nobody's fault" Lorelai laughed "kids fall and they get hurt, it happens"

——

On Monday Rory and Logan's alarm went off at 6. They got up and got themselves ready before getting the kids ready.

Once at Chilton Logan took Grace and Sammy to drop Grace off and Rory took Nicky to his classroom.

"So I just wear it around my neck?" Grace's teacher, Megan asked

"Yeah, and then just make sure it's on so she can actually hear you" Logan said

"Ok"

"she doesn't love talking so don't be surprised if she's really quiet but she'll tell you if she needs something"

"Perfect. Is there anything else?"

"Not really, but the processors are clipped to her shirt so they don't get lost, so if she decides she wants them off, which I don't think she will, she's gonna need help unclipping them, and the case is in her bag"

"Alrighty then, Grace, do you wanna come inside now?" Megan asked

"I wanna you to stay" Grace signed

"I know but I have to go to work" Logan signed "and I promise mommy's gonna pick you up really soon, ok?"

Grace nodded

"Come" Logan crouched down so he could hug Grace "have a lot of fun" He kissed the top of Grace's head "I love you, and I'll see you later"

——

"Good morning Nicky!" Max said when Rory walked into the classroom with Nicky

Nicky just waved and then looked at Rory.

"Hey" Rory crouched in front of Nicky and held his hands "are you ok?"

Nicky nodded

"Alright, I have to go, but I'm gonna come pick you up later"