Love

Y/n Pov

Heavy drops of rain hit the window and there was no sign of it stoping probably any time soon. There was no class today for me and Elsie which meant we could do whatever we wanted. Leaning over the desk I was writing down what I had found the day prior with Rose resting on my lap.

Once I went past that gate in the lower levels of the academy, thick miasma covered the floor and putrid smell of burned and rotten flesh filled the air. The endless halls were covered in markings of magical sigils and circles, all of which seemed to form a patern with a distinct distance between them. Like a wall keeping somethng inside. Something the Academy did not want to escape.

Further in there were empty prisons, maybe for keeping test subjects inside. Dried blood covered the surface of those cells. I could only shudder at what experiment those poor beings had to endure. It wasn't clear who or what was kept inside.

At the end of the hall a room opened itself to me, in the middle was a table with latches all around it and tomes. Their titles were known to me, due to Irene's teachings. "Beastiary guide to monsters of the world and. Anatomy of monsters." It came clear to me now.

I came to the conclusion that the academy had been doing research and experiments on the outworldly beings which roamed the lands. The Tome went from Arachas to Zeugl, detailing it into the tiniest details.

The notes which spread over a table mentioned the mutation of certain monsters to fit into the climate, but none of the notes I could find mentioned anything of trying to create their own abomination. One that could be of importance to Zeref.

Heavy banging on my door startled me, causing Rose to jump up in fear. Juliet burst inside with panic written all over her face. "Elsie, she's gone!" She shouted jumping forwards and pushing a piece of paper onto my hands.

A letter? I quickly opened it. "Don't come looking for me, I'm going on a monster hunting job alone, Rudeus had given me the idea, to make some more money in case I wanted to buy something, I'm going out into the north east in the forest, I'll be back by evening no doubt."

The letter was written hastily, no doubt about that. "When did she go?" I quickly asked and felt a strange sensation in my heart. I was worried in this climate for her. "I don't know probably hours ago." Shit.

I ran outside quickly and flew up into the air trying to reach the place she described north east. After a few minutes of flying I got to a clearing. The presence of her magic was clear but her footsteps weren't visible in the rain all too well. It was pouring out of everywhere. "Yes Finaly." I heard a feminine voice shout out in the distance.

Again, that strange feeling in my body, an aching sensation, every time she was in any kind of danger I felt an unnerving tingle. I ran forwards seeing her hunched over a massive beast with its head cut off, coming closer I could make it out to be a Manticore. "Elsie what the hell were you thinking!" I shouted and she turned around facing me. For a split moment our eyes met as we stood a few feet apart. "Y/n?" She tumbled forwards and I caught her just in time.

Why does she make me worry so much as of late? I had to get her someplace safe. I looked down to her. The water drops hitting her face running down on her cheeks, exausted almost sleeping in my arms, I moved a strand of hair from her face Her breathing was shallow now. Looking around I could make out a cave nearby, it must have been the one from the beast, which meant it would be empty. I picked her up getting her into a bridal carry. I had to get her into a dry spot inside of the dark cave.

After a few minutes I was able to get a fire to work. I created a makeshift rack out of some pieces of wood to dry my clothes on. I turned around and looked over to her, the one who caused all of this. My gaze slowly moved up and down her trembling figure. She was thankfully awake but shamefully looking down onto the ground as if she was afraid I would be scolding her any moment now. "Elsie you need to take off your clothes." My voice was soft asI didn't want to scare her even more. She shook her head in a no.