V.XII

The white and gold mask on the leader's right spoke. "We believe you'd be able to help us accomplish our goal more effectively than any of our current members could."

Cassie nodded, "I'm going to be honest with you, I'm a stickler for knowing things. And the only thing I know about the Court of Owls is a little nursery rhyme from when I was a kid. Do you know the one?" She gave them a small head tilt, "Of course you do. Everyone from Gotham knows it. In that cute little rhyme, the Court doesn't seem like something I could align myself with. Much too menacing for my taste. And those Talons?" She shrugged, "Who knows what those even are."

The one in all gold lowered thier head, glaring at her through their mask, "Let me be clear Dr. Astor, this invitation cannot be denied. We work from the shadows, and once someone knows we exist they are to keep that secret, or you'll find out exactly what the Talons are."

Cassie laughed, "A not-so-subtle threat. Okay, interesting. What are your plans for Gotham?"

"That is above your current clearance level," the mask on the right said. "Prove your loyalty and more will be revealed."

Cassie's watch gives a small vibration four times, indicating her bugs have returned to her watch. "Hmm, well loyalty goes both ways. I need to know what I'm getting myself into, give me a taste."

The gold one holds out their hand, and the mask on their left hands them a tablet.

"Clearly you're in charge," Cassie said. "What do they call you?"

"The Voice." They tapped on the tablet and spun it around. "A taste."

Cassie's attention turned to the screen.

A video started playing. Two undead creatures, crawling on the floor stalked towards someone. Their eyes glowed green, light flashed off their sharp claws.

A person screamed out in fear, trapped against a wall. The creatures lashed out at the person and tore them to shreds, killing the person.

The talons picked up the now-dead person and pressed them against the wall. A member wearing a plain white owl mask walked up and pinned the person to the wall with knives.

Cassie kept her face neutral, but she recognized that call card. It was from a case that Bruce was investigating with Jim long before Jim passed. It was one of the few cases Bruce had never been able to solve, even with her help. She now knew the killers.

The Voice passed the tablet off, "They were killed because they disobeyed the Court. Do you understand Doctor?"

The door opened and a person wearing a black owl mask walked in, went over to The Voice, and whispered something to them.

The Voice listened and stood up once they were done, "I do hope you join our ranks, Cassandra. I just know you could make our efforts more successful."

Dick stands on the roof of the hospital, "Talia, seriously? What's with the attacks?"

"More things are going on than you are aware of Dick Grayson," she stalks towards him.

Dick said, "Then explain to me. We can work together on this, there is no reason to terrorize the city."

She handed him a tablet, a picture of dead League assassins next to dead Talons.

"What- what are those?" Dick asked.

Talia pulled the tablet away, "We don't know. We are searching."

"Well can you search a little less chaotically? Your assassins are causing panic," Dick put his hands on his hips.

Talia turned and walked away from him, "The Demon gives the orders, not I."

Ra's al Ghul stands over the body of a large dead Talon. He slices it's head off. Dozens of dead Talons surround him and his group.

Talia walks up to him.

"Find them," Ra's looks at her. "Find them!"

She bows her head slightly.

Cassie pulls her car to a stop, spotting someone in the middle of the road. She parks the car and gets out.

The pair is illuminated by just the headlights.

"Who are they?" Talia asks.

Cassie sighed, "They call themselves the Court of Owls. They are led by someone who goes by The Voice, beyond that I don't know. Yet."