III.XXIII

Cassie stretches for a few minutes, several muscles aching from lack of use. She goes over to her closet and changes clothes. She also grabbed her phone, opening it to see all of the chaos she missed. She sighed and grabbed her laptop, she places it down and grabs her notebook.

She sends out email after email and makes a few phone calls. She's checking up on her Gotham Tech employees and trying to figure out a way to get safe water again.

She called Eli, her assistant, "Hey!"

"Of course you would pause your vacation because of some chaos."

"I know I know. Chaos in Gotham is nothing new. Will you tell the chemists to run some tests on the water please? Ask for Amanda to run point on that. I want a full diagnostic on what exactly is in it as soon as you can."

"Of course, contacting her now."

"And how many people do you think would be willing to man about twenty pop-up stations? Places with tons of water bottles and first-aid?"

"Not sure how many have been affected so far, but I can make a call. Most of our relief support is located in Metropolis though so that will be a problem."

"How so? Just fly them in with the jets."

"National guard put a blockade, no one in no one out. Not even privates."

"Oh. Well let me handle that. Make that call and have them ready to go by end of day. I'll make sure the Guard let's them land."

"Yes ma'am. Stay safe."

"You too, Eli. Thank you."

She hangs up, and calls her friend in the Guard.

"Veronica! So glad you picked up!" Cassie smiled.

"Cassie, I love you- so please tell me you are not in Gotham."

Cassie made a sound, "How did you know I was calling about that?"

"Because you have a knack for knowing everything the second it happens."

She chuckled, "Well what can I say, I'm good at what I do. I do have a massive ask of you."

"Ok shoot. I'll see what I can do."

"I know there's a blockade up but I was hoping you could make an exception for a jet or two I have coming in early tomorrow morning."

Veronica sighed, "What kind of jet?"

"A relief team. They will have clean drinkable water and tents to pitch up around town for first-aid to help the people. Not much but a little help could be useful right now."

Veronica's voice lowered to a whisper, "I'll see what I can do. There's talk of abandoning Gotham completely so I'm not sure what all I can get you."

"I won't give up hope on this town. We'll find a way to heal everyone infected by the water. Gotham won't be lost forever."

"If anyone can do the impossible it's you, be safe Cassie."

"You too."

She hangs up and sighs, running a hand through her hair.

A message goes off to the entire city, from Crane, "Gotham City used to have a protector, a guardian angel. But Batman abandoned Gotham and left Nightwing and his friends in his place." Titans wanted goes across the screen. And scenes of him fighting go across, "But what has Nightwing done? He's robbing you. Poisoning the very water you drink, the water you give to your children. Nightwing is a criminal. Protected by Gotham City Police. Only you can stop him. There will be a $50,000 reward paid to the person who brings him in. Dead or alive. But take heart Gotham, a new hero will rise, and you will know his name. Red Hood."