Chapter 74: Naming

"So...That's what happened?" Gulf croaked as the story finished his eyes fixed on his baby. The little tiny baby that was the most incredibly beautiful thing he had ever seen. "You. You really thought he was ugly?" He growled remembering that part of his bonder's story and he poked him hard in the ribs. Or as hard as he could manage without hurting himself. "That's our baby!"

"That was two days ago, my love. He's changed a lot since then. His face was sort of squished and he looked more alien like." Mew mumbled and Gulf was almost disappointed that he hadn't seen that. He couldn't believe that he had been asleep for the first two days of his son's life, but he was glad to know that he had been placed on his chest. That his son had known him before being wired up and placed in the plastic tube. "I have a photo. Joss made sure of that."

"Have they touched him?" He asked trying to reign in his protective side, but it was difficult. There was a reason that most new parents went to a nest or stayed away from other people for as long as possible. It was the scent of another person or wolf that could sometimes drive the most primal instincts in a newly nursing wolf.

"Nobody but you and I has touched him..." Mew told him gently before stalling a little and adding quietly "And of course Nila but she made sure that she was carrying my scent. Don't worry."

"Nila. She's your friend. The one that is working on me."

"Yes and no. She is my friend and I did send the research to her, but it's Samara, her mate is the research scientist. She's the one that has been studying the after effects of what happened to you." Mew corrected him lightly and Gulf nodded again his eyes once more on the little bundle that was his son. He was so small and tiny. His heart was beating so quickly it was like the beating of a hummingbird's wing. He wanted to reach out and take him into his arms. The boy that he had dreamt of for so long was here within his grasp but out of it. "He's breath taking right? He looks just like you."

"Me? I thought he looked like you." Gulf mumbled his head tilting to one side as he looked at the face. It was true that he wasn't as round as Mew, but the nose was the same as his alpha and the chin was so tiny and barely noticeable that it screamed Mew more than Gulf. The eyes. The eyes were closed now, so it was impossible for them to see who he looked like the most.

"Nila warned me that his face would change a lot as he grows a little."

"He's healthy though?"

"Almost completely. There is a scar on his side. One of Fah's claws must have caught him. He healed but. Not perfectly." Mew whispered and Gulf gave a growl from the depths of his throat ignoring the pain that it caused in the wounds on his neck " and he needs the support of the machines now but he's growing stronger every day." Mew smiled proudly and Gulf relaxed again pushing the thought of Fah and all the things he would do to her if she was here right now to bask in the knowledge that his alpha and mate approved of their baby. He hadn't realized it, but h had been unconsciously worried that Mew might reject their son because he wasn't big and strong. It wasn't something that happened a lot these days, at least as far as he was aware, but he had read that there was a time when fathers would reject offspring. Logically he knew that Mew would be like that but there was still fear inside of him "...Gulf. There...there's also something else."

"What? I thought you said that he was going to be okay."

"He is. This is about you my love. The damage that was done to your body. Your womb...There is a chance that you may never be able to carry another baby."

"Gulf?" Mew breathed gently as he watched the varying emotions playing around on his mate's face. There was shock and then sadness before his eyes lit up with happiness when he heard a little snuffling sound coming from the cot. His eyes moved from his face to look at their baby who had just let out a whimpering noise which sounded like a mouse snuffling. It was such a cute little sound that it was almost impossible to stay sad when their little bundle was wiggling around and snuffling like that. This was going to have to be dealt with later but for now there was something a lot more enjoyable. "I think he's hungry. Nila, should be here soon." As he spoke the words the door opened, and Nila came in carrying a bottle. She did a double take when she saw Gulf awake but she was soon smiling at him and dipping her head in his direction as Mew murmured "Speak of the devil. Right on time."