Chapter 58: Keeping

A/N: Second!

***

Toptap knocked somewhat nervously on Mew's office door. His heart was skipping against his ribs like a stone over a lake. He had never feared Mew before and he couldn't believe that he was now, but he had never asked to be changed into a werewolf before. He knew that there were very few risks on his part, but he also knew that he was signing up to join Mew's war with his parents. He didn't completely understand the war, but he knew that Joss was involved and that meant that he had to be. His relationship with Joss hadn't been expected, but he doubted that anything could be planned with Joss. He was a force of nature and it felt as though he was just being carried along for the ride, though he was quite happy to go with him.

It had only increased when they had been at the coast. Joss and he had been pretty much left to their own devices and it had felt as though they were a happy little family. People had complimented him on his husband and son. It had delighted him, and he had been the point where he had decided that he wanted it to be real. He knew that there were ways of claiming Teh as his sworn child in werewolf eyes and with Joss as his mate he was sure that it would be something wonderful.

"Come in, Toptap." Mew called from the depths of the office and slowly Toptap recovered himself and opened the door and walked inside not surprised to see Gulf sat on the alpha werewolf's desk his lips swollen and glossy as though he had been thoroughly kissed. It wasn't surprising as the pair seemed to be completely inseparable.

"I'm sorry for intruding." He breathed hanging his head, but Mew shook his head quickly smiling as Gulf scrambled down from the desk with twin spots of color in his cheek. Toptap offered the young second a smile before settling back into a stiff position with his hands held down beside his legs.

"If you were, I wouldn't have let you in." Mew hummed reassuringly his eyes kinder than they had ever been before Gulf had come into their lives. The second had been good for their alpha even if he didn't know it yet. "Did you want to speak alone?"

"No. It's fine. I suppose. Gulf is my second, our Luna now right?" Toptap spluttered nervously his own cheeks filling with color as he desperately tried to remember all the things that he had been taught. He had never really attended schools. his mother had been too 'sick' to deal with things and his father had spent so much time beating on him to care about his schooling, but he had tried to learn by himself since arriving here not wanting to be ever put in a position where he wouldn't be able to answer a question that his brother asked.

"He is indeed. You want me to wake up your werewolf blood." Mew asked and wordlessly Toptap nodded not questioning how he knew. Mew had a habit of knowing things that he shouldn't. He always had though He supposed that he had been more than a little obvious lately.

"Yes. If it's possible." He breathed slowly and to his great relief Mew nodded and smiled reassuringly as he sat down at his desk pulling Gulf onto his lap.

"It will be. If your werewolf blood is strong enough. The waking will be painless but if it is successful then I must warn you that. Your transformations would not be. Every single bone in your body would break into a thousand pieces and be reshaped before setting again, you would feel each one of those breaks." Mew told him in a gentle voice and Toptap honestly felt sick at the words, but he still found himself nodding in agreement. "The older you are the more painful it is. Teh. Teh would hardly feel the transformation if we woke him now."

"I can't speak for my brother. I would have to ask him. But for myself. I wish for you to try. Please."

**

Gulf sighed a little as Toptap left the office. He knew that it was coming, it was completely predictable, but he was worried. Toptap seemed so eager so frantic to be a werewolf and he knew that it was because he wanted to be all that he could be for Joss, but he didn't truly know about the dangers. He glanced at Mew who had fallen silent and thoughtful and lightly he pressed a kiss to his alpha's temple and then moved out of the office determined to catch up with Toptap and present his case. He wasn't completely sure if he wanted to talk him out of it or not, but he wanted to tell him the truth that there would be more pain than he could ever imagine.