Chapter 22: Talking

Mew was satisfied when he went home after dropping Gulf back off at classroom. It might not have been the meal that he was used to, but he felt that he and Gulf were making some form of progress and for him that was a good sign. He pulled off his coat and threw it at Toptap who caught it easily even though he had been distracted since getting back from his own lunch date with Joss.

"I'll be in my studio until it's time to pick up Gulf. I don't want to be disturbed." he said heading down the hall and into his well-lit and spacious studio. The scent of paint and cleaning fluid greeted him as his eyes focused on the canvas in front of him. The paint seemed dry enough for him to continue working and soon his was once again lost in his world adding to the colors and creating depth and texture to the painting.

The foreground was soon coming into sharp focus and he smiled to himself his mind filled with memories of the morning wondering if it was possible to recreate that moment tomorrow. Putting black, grey, yellow, and red onto his palate he mixed them together trying to capture the rough beauty that he saw in Gulf's coat.

"Ahem..." Toptap cleared his throat politely from the doorway before coming further into the room and Mew tried hard not to growl at his servant, even when he began to apologize "I'm sorry to disturb you, sir."

"I thought I told you not to do that." Mew reminded him frowning at the color that had formed on his palate disappointed that it wasn't nearly vibrant enough. Toptap cleared his throat again whispering.

"Yes, sir, unless it was time to pick up Gulf. It's time, sir."

"Right." Mew blinked, glancing down at his watch surprised that three hours had already gone without him realizing it. Grabbing his hand rag from the side he wiped his eyes and looked at Toptap who was staring at his painting with a slack jawed expression. "Jirakit?"

"Sorry, sir, I was just admiring your painting. It's one of your best." The man said and Mew felt his lips twitch into a smile. Toptap was a huge admirer of his work and each one received the same adulation but this time though there was something in his eyes that said that he wasn't just being overly complimentary.

"Thank you. It's a personal piece." Mew hummed heading out of the studio and leaving him to follow behind "I'm thinking of hanging it in the hall so that everyone can see it when they enter."

"It would look beautiful there, sir." Toptap agree like he knew that he would. They headed out of the house again about to walk down the path when Toptap saw his eldest beta brother hanging around by the gates. The man looked nervous and that only increased when Mew shot him a look, but he was still managing to look determined and Mew sighed his dreams of collecting Gulf from college vanishing.

"Toptap. You should go and collect Gulf and drive him around for a while before bringing him home." He said reaching to the buttons on the wall and pressing for the gate. "I'll ring you when it's okay."

"If you're sure, sir?" Toptap asked cautiously and Mew nodded smiling as his brother started to walk towards him purposely his shoulders drawn back as much as he dared. Mew rolled his eyes fighting down his alpha as he managed to give the man a reluctant smile.

"I'm sure. Hello Pluem, what are you doing here?"

"Mum. She sent me." Pluem answered nervously and Mew gave a sigh and a nod stepping away from the door to let him come inside.

"I suppose that you better come in then."

**

Gulf was almost disappointed when he left the classroom and only Toptap was there waiting for him against the car. He managed to hide it by rolling his eyes at Joss' delight at seeing Toptap again. Delight which became apparent by him screaming his name and running over the courtyard to throw himself into his arms. Toptap looked halfway between embarrassment and delight as the arms wrapped around him.

"Joss. You only saw him at lunch." He muttered as calmly as he could manage not wanting to embarrass his friend in anyway but highly tempted to swot him around the head. He wasn't feeling as bad as he was yesterday, but he was starting to get a headache and he wished that he hadn't eaten half the pickles that he had forced down his throat earlier. His face going scarlet, Toptap pulled away from Joss to open the door for him as he cleared his throat.

"Mr. Mew told asked me to apologize for his absence." The man said in his overly professional voice his head bowing in all polite formality. Joss was grinning like an overly happy simpleton at his side his eyes shining with delight as he gazed at his human. The Joss' would have no problem with their relationship, Gulf knew that, they were both Gamma, but they had never expected Joss to mate well like most werewolves did. "Something came up with his younger brother just as we were leaving."

"His brother?" Gulf hummed getting into the car and grinning when he saw Toptap's young brother sitting in a booster seat. The boy gave him a grin and a cheeky wave flashing a mouthful of white teeth.

"Yes, sir. Um he also asked that I drive around the city. So, I'm sorry that I had to collect my brother from day care." Toptap hummed as if that wasn't already obvious and Gulf smiled wondering why Toptap was having to look after the boy, but he doubted that it was appropriate to ask at least not until he knew the man for a lot longer than they had known each other.

"That's fine, hey, Teh, have you had a good day?"

"Yes! I played with water and sand!" The boy answered his legs swinging backwards and forwards the back of his feet hitting against the car seat. Gulf watched him with a smile his hand resting on his stomach as he wondered what his pup was going to look like. He doubted that it would be very big. Both he and Mew were small.

He didn't really care about gender if it was healthy. He was terrified though. he wasn't completely sure if he was going to be any good as a father. He had never had a soft side, but he was starting to realize that Mew might be able to help him there, he would just have to settle for being the disciplinarian in the partnership "You're is having baby... is telling Teh! How is you making baby?! You're is a man!"

"I'm a werewolf, that means that I'm able to have a baby."

"Oh. So, can I have a baby. If I am werewolf?" The boy asked with a pout and Gulf sighed looking out of the window and realizing with a start that they were already moving without him even realizing it.

"You can't become a werewolf, you're born a werewolf. Normally from werewolf mommies and werewolf daddies. or daddy and daddy, or Mommy and Mommy" He said trying hard to explain " Sometimes though a human Mommy and daddy can make a werewolf baby. So even though you're a human you could have a werewolf baby..."

"Ah okay! May I touch your tummy?" Teh asked and Gulf nodded deciding that it would be okay, not even Mew could get jealous over a child touching his stomach.

"If you like. You won't feel anything yet though."

*** to be continued ***