Chapter 66: Guarding

A/N: Trois!

***

Gulf woke from his weird but happy dream of minted potatoes and lots of creamy butter with a loud pig like snort his stomach swirling with so many emotions that he couldn't work out which were his and which were his alpha's. It had been three weeks since the visit to the hospital and Gulf had hoped that maybe things were slowly fizzling out. Of course, he knew that there was still a trail to get through and the issues with the Mew's hadn't vanished, but things had been normal for three weeks so the barrage of emotions that were currently coming from Mew's side of the bond were making him completely uneasy.

Pushing himself up in the sofa he looked around the room remembering vaguely that he had only been taking a nap on the sofa after college which would explain why he wasn't in his bedroom. His hand moved over the tiny baby bump that had formed and he tried hard to ignore the fluttery feeling that it gave his heart to know that there was some small proof that the baby was in there and holding its own against the world.

Voices from outside the door, sharp and almost angry sounding voices, pulled him away from the happy cloudy feeling with a bump and he got up and padded over to the door to open it surprised that, when his fingers were just about to touch the brass handle, it opened with some force and Singto stalked into the room and passed him with an angry scowl on his face.

"Stupid idiot." The under alpha snapped passing a little back and forth and Gulf thought that he looked so lost in thought that he probably hadn't noticed that he was in here. Singto had been out when he had gotten back after all, but he couldn't help himself asking.

"Me?"

"Second! Sorry I didn't know you were in here!" Singto gasped looking mildly horrified with his eyes near bulging out of his head and his mouth contorted into a weird pose and Gulf offered him a smile and a shrug saying.

"I was sleeping. Is everything okay? Who's an idiot? Joss? I know that he can be."

"No, not your friend Joss though he can be dense sometimes. I mean the Alpha, second." Singto said looking slightly guilty that he had said so much about the alpha in front of him and Gulf didn't his best to continue to smile even if there was pinpricks of anger at the man for insulting his lover, but he knew that he wouldn't do it if he wasn't seriously angry.

"Why is Jongcheveevat an idiot?" He asked and Singto's face twitched awkwardly for a moment as he shifted uncomfortably on his feet muttering.

"I think that he would rather tell you."

"But you've started now. Shouldn't you finish?" Gulf gave the shadow alpha a very pointed probing smile encouraging him to talk needing to know what was happening and reluctantly, unable to deny a request from his second, Singto sighed and grumbled.

"Well...When the alpha went to the hospital there were several young werewolves. They had been taken from their families. Families that had no alpha and no protection."

"Mew has offered them a home, here hasn't he?" Gulf asked seeing where this was going knowing that this explained a lot of the pity and anger that he was feeling from his Mew bond. Singto continued to look troubled for a moment or two and then nodded with a heavy sounding sigh pushing his fingers through the mop of black hair and muttering.

"Yes, second."

"I see. I'll talk to him."

"My Mew?"

"I'm here." Mew snapped back before mentally admonishing himself at the tone that he had used. His lover didn't deserve it. it was Singto that he was angry with after all.  The shadow alpha had been questioning him all day and even if his criticisms were sound his own alpha was angry at being talked down to and he wanted to prove that he was the alpha, not Singto. This was exactly why two alphas weren't normally able to live together unless mated but he had believed that he and Singto would be able to break that idea.