Chapter 73: Saving

A/N: We are down to 6 chapters. I'll be posting 5 chapters and the last chapter on 24 or 25.

Merry Christmas everyone.

***

Gulf reluctantly opened his eyes. His entire body was in pain and there was a familiar beeping of medical equipment. His stomach felt hallow as if everything that was inside had been scooped out and he howled loudly realizing that that was what had happened. His stomach was empty meaning that his baby. His and Mew's precious pup wasn't there. He tried to move his hand down to touch at his stomach, but he realized that somebody was holding it tight. It took him a moment to realize that it was his bond mate, but he couldn't see him through the waves of tears that were in his eyes. He couldn't breathe thinking of all the dreams that he had had of his son. The glimpses of a life that would never be able to live.

He wrenched his hand from Mew's and wrapped his arms around himself ignoring the pain that the actions brought. Physical pain would never be anything compared to the loss that he felt inside him. All those dreams where his sunny happy child was reaching out to him for a hug and each time, he moved in he woke.

"Gulf. You're awake?" Mew asked sleepily waking up with a creaking of bones as he rubbed his stiff neck his eyes moving over him in horror as he asked what had to be the most stupid question in the world "Where does it hurt? I'll call the doctor."

"My baby." Gulf whimpered rocking back and forth on the bed and Mew seemed to physically relax his hand coming up to stroke his back and Gulf knocked it away growling and hissing as he spat "Don't touch me! How can you. I.... lost. I lost our pup."

"What? No. No baby, you didn't. He's alive. He only weighs 4lbs but he's alive." Mew told him motioning to a little plastic cot that Gulf hadn't noticed until now. He realized now that it was the reason for the gently pulsating beeping and he desperately tried to move over to it. His body protested the movement until he was almost crying out with the pain of it, but the box called to him making him move. "Steady." His mate whispered helping him up and carrying him over to the cot. Nestled inside was the tiniest baby that he had ever seen in his life.

The nappy he wore was ridiculously large around his little pink legs and the hands were smaller than he had ever seen before they barely seemed bigger than his thumb.  Tubes and wires were all over him but the blue hat that he had picked out a few days ago was on his head almost dwarfing him with the size of it. But he was alive, Gulf could see the slow raise and fall of his little chest and he could hear his heart beat now. It was fast. As fast as a little mouse but it was steady in the chest "He was in a premature baby ward, but he wouldn't settle until they brought him in here with you." Mew breathed in his ear before chuckling wetly as he breathed "He's a fighter."

"Of course. He's your son." Gulf gasped brokenly reaching out his hand to touch at the lid of the cot his eyes closing as he cried harsh tears that tore at his throat and made his shoulders shake "I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. I should never. I should have thought about you. I shouldn't...I was so stupid."

"You weren't. My love. My father submitted. My parents are separating, and Fah has been arrested." Mew told him softly as he nibbled at his neck "And our baby. Our most precious pup is here and alive. He will fight and grow strong. Not because of me but because he is yours and he has your determination."

"Tell me what happened."

**

Mew carried his bond mate through the forest with Singto running a head still in his wolf form keys jostling around in his mouth. Magnus was at his side inspecting the damage done and questioning why Gulf wasn't healing.