Chapter 86

Arriving at the airport in New York causes me to get stressed out. I've never been in an airport before, and the fact that this is really crowded makes it worse. 

Kurt gave me directions on where to go, but I know that I'm still going to be really stressed out during it, which is why Krist decided to send Shelli with me. 

She's just as clueless as me when it comes to where we're supposed to be going, but at least we're clueless together. We would look like idiots if we were just on our own. 

Kurt and I have only talked once since our last phone call (the one where he told me about the concert) and it wasn't even a good conversation. We were very short with one another and we were on the brink of arguing before he concluded the phone call, saying that we were only angry. But before that happened, Kurt was gracious enough to tell me how to get through to the airport and where to go. 

That was the first time we were both angry. Earlier that day, Emma and Aubrey were running around and playing, and then they knocked over a glass cup that was on the counter. I was angry because Kurt bought it for me and it meant a lot. 

It was a very light shade of pink and it had my name etched onto it. He told me that he bought it for me as a welcome-home gift. It meant a lot more to me than it should've because he paid for the house and everything, and yet he's getting me a gift without expecting one in return. 

After they broke the glass, I lost it. Liza was in the shower, so she wasn't able to tell them what to do. I had to tell them to go upstairs while I was bawling and without hesitation, they ran once more upstairs. 

I had to clean up the glass all on my own and vaccum. Right after, Kurt called me, so I was in a bad mood and apparently he was, too. I still haven't told him what happened because he would just say he'd get me another one. 

The problem is that I don't want another one. I wanted that one and I made that very clear when I was on the phone with him. He got mad at me for reacting like that since he was trying to help me and hung up the phone.

"Kaitlyn!" Shelli violently shakes me. 

I freeze, standing in my spot with my eyes wide open. That exact gesture took me straight back to my father, the very thing that I'm scared of. 

"Shit, I'm sorry," She reaches out to put her hand on my shoulder, but then retracts it as if she shouldn't dare touch me. 

Taking deep breaths, I look ahead and notice the sign that's above us pointing to everything and everywhere. "Kurt said to just go down to the lower level and get out of the airport."

"Kaitlyn, are you okay? I'm sorry, I didn't mean to--"

"You're fine," I assure her. "Let's just get out of here, alright?"

She looks up at the sign. "Let's take the escalator."

We go forward, each carrying our own single bag, and find the escalator. As we go down it, I look around to see where the exit is. 

My eyes land on the right side of the building and I see people coming in and out of the doors. I nudge Shelli gently in the shoulder. "We can leave through there."

Once we get to the end of the escalator, Shelli and I make our way through the hundreds of people hurdled in crowds, trying to figure out where to go. 

If we were here with Kurt or Krist or Dave, everyone would go berzerk and we would have no way out of here. Everyone would just crowd around them and ask for autographs. It would make everything worse. 

Shelli and I exit the airport, finally feeling the ability to breathe without feeling everyone around me crowding in on me.

"Alright," Shelli says. "Let's find a cab and get to the hotel."