Chapter 11

"Should I get them both a gift, or get them each one individually?" I ask Kurt, looking around the store. 

"Do you have enough money to get them both something?" He asks. 

"Well, I might. Yeah, I think so. But, at the same time, this is my first Christmas with my brother. I want to get him something that he'll remember forever, you know? Like, he'll look at it and think, 'I remember when Kaitlyn gave this to me on our first Christmas together.' Well, it's not technically our first Christmas together, but it really feels like it."

"You should get Krist something and then get Shelli something small(er)."

"But then I'll feel bad. I mean, they're letting me stay in their house and all I'm getting them is a louzy gift."

"Get Shelli a vibrator or something."

I gasp and lightly shove him. "Kurt Cobain, that is so fucking disgusting."

He chuckles softly. "Whoops!"

I wander off into the women's section in the store, thinking about what I should get Shelli. Maybe I'll just get her some sexy clothing or something. But, wouldn't that be weird since she'd use it for my brother?

I shake my head, getting the image out of my mind. 

I continue to look and find a shirt that seems like she would like. I grab it and put it in the shopping cart that Kurt is pushing around. 

I asked Kurt to come along because he knows Krist the best out of all of us and what he would like. Him and Krist were best friends and I couldn't wait to find a friendship like that with someone. Technically, Ethan and I already had that, but I wanted it with someone that I didn't think of in a romantic way.

"What would Krist like?" I ask Kurt. 

Kurt puts his hands up in the air. "I have no idea."

I roll my eyes. "You're useless."

"Excuse me? I drove you here."

I smile softly at him and wander around the store. I stop at the food for a little, but that would be a lame present. I go into the men's clothing and see jeans, but I don't even know what fucking size Krist is, and neither does Kurt. 

I feel like a terrible sister. I know that I should know my brother better than this, yet I don't. I should know what to get him, but I don't. Even Krist's best friend doesn't know what to get him. 

"Get him a gift card," Kurt suggests. 

"No, you're probably going to get him that."

Kurt chuckles. "I don't even know if I'll have enough money for that."

"Then I'll say that it's from both of us."

"Oh, no, that's alright."

"No, no, we'll get the gift card and I'll write him a letter or something. Do you think he'd like that?"

He doesn't smile. He looks down at the floor, almost like he's sad. "Yeah, he'd really like that, Kaitlyn."

I want to ask him what's wrong, but at the same time, I knew Kurt well enough to know that if he wanted to talk to me about what was wrong, he would. 

I walk over to the cards and grab one, then an envelope. We check out and I end up paying for everything. 

As we walk to the car, I notice Kurt sulking. At this point, I'm worried because if he's not paying attention to where we're going as we're crossing the street, he could get hit. 

"Hey, what's going on?" I ask him. 

"It would be nice to-" He makes eye contact with me and immediately stops talking. "Nothing."