Chapter 69

My eyes slowly flutter open and I feel an immense pain in my forehead. I slowly wiggle my fingers around, then move my toes, and then my eyes. When I open my eyes, I look to the right of me and see Krist sitting down in a chair, crouching over with his head in his hands. 

I want to speak to him, but I don't feel like talking right now. For some reason, I feel really exhausted. 

But then I remember what happened. 

The car accident. 

Fuck

Krist looks up and as soon as his eyes meet mine, he jumps up towards me and smothers me with a hug. I groan slightly as his body crashes against mine. It feels as if there's bruises all over my body. 

He pulls away from me and starts crying, then steps away and shoves his fist inside of his mouth. I wince at the sight of that. I've never seen him in so much pain before. He hasn't even spoken a word, but I feel like I understand every single thought he's having. 

I quickly check my body and make sure that I don't have any casts or wraps around my body. To my surprise, I don't, which is weird because I don't remember coming here which means I must've passed out. I'm lucky to have not gotten injured. 

My mother rushes inside and gasps at the sight of me. She rushes to my side and hugs me. Like I did with Krist, I wince, except this time, she doesn't pull away-she just hugs me tighter. I attempt to wrap my arms around her, but I can't. It hurts too much. 

"Kaitlyn," She pets my hair and kisses my forehead, making it feel better for a split-second. A mother's touch can do wonders. "God, are you okay?"

I give her a thumbs-up, my head in too much pain to nod and I'm still not wanting to speak just yet. 

She walks over to Krist and gives him a hug. He starts crying into her shoulder. 

I'm left in my bed staring at them. I wonder who found me. Maybe the person who I hit called the cops. Either way, I blocked out and have no recollection of what happened after I hit the car. I hope that the other person is okay. 

I try to not think about how I'm going to have to pay for a new car and most likely get a new insurance if they don't drop me after this. Was it technically my fault or the other driver's fault?

"Kaitlyn," Krist walks over to me and wipes his tears. "Are you okay?"

I give him a thumbs-up. I know he feels terrible for what happened, but he needs to know that it's not his fault. I open my mouth to speak and say, "It's not your fault." Talking wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be, so I decide to keep speaking. 

"God," He runs his fingers through his hair. "What if I lost you, Kaitlyn? I mean, fuck! We got into an argument right before you got into the car accident. I mean, what if-"

"Don't," My mom interrupts him before he can continue. "We don't need to think about that."

I never thought about it that way before. I was in an argument with all of them. If I had died, I wouldn't have been able to talk to them ever again and that's how they would've remembered me. Those would've been our last words with each other. Those would've been my last words with Shelli, Dave, and Kurt. 

Oh God, Kurt. I search the room for him, but I can't find him anywhere.

"Where's Kurt?" I ask. 

"Calm down," Krist put a hand on my arm very softly, but just to reassure me. "He's doing just fine."

I want to ask more questions about Kurt and where he is, but I have too many to ask. I know that if I start, I won't be able to stop. 

"What happened?" I ask Krist and my mother.