Chapter 76

Things were better compared to yesterday after Kurt came back. We didn't speak much about how he just left, but we just laid together in silence, embracing one another. 

We decided that today we should go to the park with Frances and have a picnic there. We're trying our best to make our lives as normal as possible, especially for Frances. 

Although Kurt and I have done some things in our life to deserve what has been happening to us, Frances has not done anything wrong. After all, she is just a baby. So we want to treat her like one and make sure she's spoiled and doesn't suspect that anything is going wrong. 

Arriving at the park, Kurt and I realize just how many kids are actually here. Us three walk to a random part of shaded grass, lay out the picnic blanket, then put down the basket, and Kurt checks Frances' diaper. 

Kurt and I have barely even spoken a word to each other today. The only things we've talked about is going to the park and whether or not Frances was changed. 

I want to make a comment about the amount of adults with their kids here and how it's a lot, but it just feels like it would be wrong. 

Frances props her hands down on the ground, then pushes herself up, standing and balancing on her own. Kurt stares at her in awe, softly laughing at her. 

I stand in front of her and hunch over down to her level, holding my hands out for her to grab. She reaches forward and takes steps on her own. 

For the past month, she's been learning how to walk. She doesn't know how to entirely do it on her own, but while holding someone's hand, she can do it. 

Just then, I feel something soft bump into my butt. My eyes widen and I quickly grab Frances, then rest her on my hip, holding onto her back, as I turn around and see a middle-aged man staring down at me with his eyebrows furrowed. 

"Sorry," I chuckle out of embarrassment. "I didn't mean to bump into you. I just--"

He begins to chuckle. "You're fine. I see you're teaching her how to walk."

"Trying to, yeah."

"How old is she?"

"11 months."

He grabs her hand and bounces it a little up and down while saying in a baby voice, "Well, you're old, aren't you?"

Out of shyness, she tugs her arm away and buries her face in my neck, turning away from the man. 

"Oh, Frances," I laugh along with the man. I'm glad that he's not offended by it and is instead laughing.

I've never interacted with other parents before since Kurt and I rarely go out with Frances. It's also weird for me to talk to them and hold a conversation as they describe the struggles that they go through as a parent, when I'm not biologically her mother. I'm just her stepmother. 

"Well that wasn't very nice," The man rests his hands on his hips and frowns at Frances, but she doesn't even notice. Her face is still tucked into my shoulder. 

"Hey," Kurt abruptly says, approaching us. "Who is this? You've never introduced us before."

The man's face turns to pure shock. Even with glasses on, Kurt is still very recognizable. It must be because he gets those obnoxious circular ones that no one else in the world would wear besides him. 

"That's because I just met him," I say, sensing a sort of attitude in his tone. 

"Oh, I'm Kurt," He says to the man, then holds his arms out for Frances to go to. 

Without hesitation, she reaches for her father and he takes her, resting her on his hip like I once did. 

"I--I--I--" The man tries to get out a word, but he's obviously too starstruck to even do it.