Chapter 29

"She doesn't need to know," Krist continues to bicker with Shelli. 

I have a feeling that they're talking about me. If they actually were, then it'd be incredibly stupid because they're talking about me now knowing something. If you don't want someone to know something, why would you talk about it with them right in front of them?

I don't think they know that I'm in the living room, though, since they're in the kitchen. 

I decide to get up and approach them. My curiosity is killing me. "What are you guys talking about?"

They both gasp as soon as they see me. 

"Oh, n-nothing," Shelli stumbles over her words. 

I roll my eyes. "I've been here for, like, the whole conversation. Who doesn't need to know what?"

Krist looks sternly at Shelli. "Now look at what happened."

"Technically, it's not even our business, Krist," Shelli continues on. 

I can only wonder what they are talking about. They could be talking about anything. The only thing that I want to know is if it involves me or not. 

"How come you don't want to tell me?" I ask. 

"I do, Krist doesn't," Shelli quickly responds. 

"That's because it'll only make things more difficult, Shelli," Krist is very angry now. 

That means that this is not a good thing. There's a bad thing and they don't want me knowing. 

"I'm going to tell her," Shelli turns to face me. "Kaitlyn, let's have a seat, shall we?"

I sit next to her at the kitchen table while Krist sits on the opposite side of me. 

"Kaitlyn," Shelli continues. "While you were gone, I received a phone call. And it wasn't a pleasant phone call."

My stomach drops. The only person that can come to mind is the one person that I wanted to get away from. But no matter how hard I try, it feels like they're always there. 

"It was from your father," She says very slowly. 

I nod my head. "Um, what did he say?"

"He called and asked for you, but I told him that he must have the wrong number because my name is Shelli Dilley. He bought it and hung up the phone."

I sigh in relief, but then a part of me feels like he would never give up that easily. He's never given up before, why would he do it now?

What if he already knows where I am and this was the tip of the iceberg? What if he's going to show up right now and try to take me?

I rush to the front door and part the blinds to look through the window. 

No sign of him. 

"Kaitlyn, what are you doing?" Krist asks me. 

"Nothing," I make my way back over to the table, but I don't sit down. If I sit down, I'll feel too out of control of everything. Even now, I don't feel in control. "I don't think I should be staying here anymore."

Krist runs his hands through his hair. Shelli puts her hands together and rests her head on top of them. No one says a word. It's just silent. 

I feel terrible, going back and forth between my decisions. It feels like I just moved back into Krist's and Shelli's house, and now I want to move out again. 

If I were to move out, I don't even know where I would go. There's two options: I could stay with Kurt again, or I can be a responsible adult and move into my own apartment. I'm just worried that I won't have enough money to live on my own.