Chapter 36

Richfield, England

Reading Festival

August 23, 1991

Instantly, I'm insanely jealous of her. I don't even want Kurt to introduce me to her. It'll just make me feel like he likes her more than me. 

"Kaitlyn, this is Kim Gordon," Kurt introduces us. "Kim, this is Kaitlyn."

"Nice to meet you," She smiles and shakes my hand. 

I shake back her hand, and am completely taken aback by how calm and collected she is. I'm surprised that Kurt isn't dating her. If I was him, I would ditch me for her. 

"Nice to meet you, too," I flash her a smile and awkwardly stand next to Kurt. 

"So, I hear that you're dating Kurt."

I get butterflies in my stomach from hearing that. "Yeah, I am."

"You guys are so adorable together. Can I get a quick picture?"

Kurt looks at me and smiles, then nods his head. Kim steps back as Kurt wraps an arm around my shoulder. I smile at the camera and feel more relaxed than before. 

I know that Kurt feels welcome with these people. He feels like he belongs, which is very hard for him to feel sometimes. I've never seen him be so open with other people besides our little group. 

"Why hello!" Krist shouts as he bursts into the room. His voice echoes. "I've missed you dearly! Kurt, Kaitlyn, come on, we have to go."

"Nice meeting you!" Kim waves goodbye to us as Kurt and I run towards the stage. 

We walk towards the side entrance and before Kurt walks onstage, he stops with me. 

"You're going to stay right here the whole time, okay?" He asks me. "I need you to look at me in the eyes and understand what I'm saying."

"I understand what you're saying," I say slowly. 

He kisses me. "Alright, I'll be back before you know it."

"I love you."

"I love you, too."

He walks onstage, his leather jacket flowing behind him. It's very windy outside, so my hair is going all over the place. I grab my ponytail off of my wrist and tie my hair back. I wrap my arms around my body as I suddenly get the chills. 

Kurt stops walking towards the stage and immediately runs back to me. "Do you need my jacket?"

"You don't mind?" I ask him. 

He shakes his head and takes off his jacket, then wraps it around me. "It looks better on you than me, anyway."

"Go!" I rush him. 

"Alright, alright. Bye."

He hoists his guitar strap over his body and plugs his guitar into the amps. 

They immediately start playing and the audience cheers them on. It's amazing how just earlier this year, they were playing at a college and now they're playing at a fucking festival. 

I am so unbelievably proud of them on a whole different level. I can't say that I've known them since the beginning, since I don't, but I have known them for a very long time. 

They're going to be releasing their new record next month and Kurt is excited for it. I would be, too, if I was him. I see the way that music affects him and how it makes him feel.