Chapter 54

Seattle, Washington

November 13, 1992

As I pull up to Krist's house, it hits me as to why he wants me here. He set up a surprise birthday party for me. 

I was telling him a couple weeks ago how I have never had a surprise birthday party before. I don't even remember have a birthday party. I probably had one when I was younger when I lived with my mother, but never with my father. 

Some years we never even celebrated my birthday. 

I walk out of the car and try to look around for Cash's car anywhere, but I can't find it. Instead of continuing my search, I go up to the door and ring the doorbell.

To my surprise, it opens right away and Krist is standing there with a big smile on his face. "Hi, Kaitlyn!" 

"Hi, Krist," I smile and look behind him to see if there's anyone there. To my surprise, there isn't. My face falls as I realize there's no one there. 

"You alright?" He asks, noticing my face. 

I shake it off. "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine." I freeze as I realize that he hasn't even wished me a happy birthday today. "So, what did you need me here for?"

"Oh, right," He slaps himself on the forehead. "Come in, I need to show you something."

I hesitantly walk inside, bothered that my own brother doesn't know that today is my birthday. I'm more upset because although it's only my second one with them, I remember his birthday and I would always celebrate it with him no matter what. 

But he can't remember just this one day for me. 

I still have hope as I follow him down his hallway that maybe everyone will pop out and say happy birthday. Or maybe he'll turn around and apologize for not saying happy birthday, then he'll give me a hug. 

I know that's not going to happen. 

We enter his room and he grabs his bass that's already laying down on the bed. He sits down on the floor and starts playing something. 

Now all hope has shattered. I know that he really has forgotten. 

"Doesn't that sound good?" He asks, looking up at me while smiling. 

I nod my head, forcing the tears deep down. "Yeah, it sounds really good."

"You don't look too happy."

I clear my throat and cross my arms protectively over my chest. "Yeah, um, is that all that you wanted from me?"

"Well, I mean, I was wanting you to stay a little longer," He stands up and places the bass on the bed. "Why?"

"Because I need to get going," I lie and point towards the front door. I need to get out of here before I start crying. "I really liked that song and you should continue with it. I just completely forgot that I have a bunch of other shit to do."

"Kaitlyn," He says, almost whining as I walk out of the bedroom. 

I hurriedly turn the right corner and head straight towards the front door. All of a sudden, numerous people jump out in front of me and yell, "Happy Birthday!" I sigh as soon as I see them and then turn around to see Krist smiling down at me. 

"Did you do this?" I ask him, grinning from ear to ear.

He nods his head and gives me a tight hug. "You didn't think that I forgot, did you?"