Chapter 12

"What do you want to listen to?" Krist asks me. 

"I know nothing about music," I chuckle. "You just pick something."

He just turns on the radio and we listen to whatever's on. 

Yesterday, Krist asked me if I wanted to go and do something with him today, just us two. I, of course, said yes. I don't know what we're doing because he told me that he wanted to surprise me. I honestly don't mind what we're doing. I just want to get to know Krist. 

I want us to be the stereotypical older-brother younger-sister duo. I want him to be overprotective over me when it comes to everything. I want him to also be concerned for me and be nice to me. 

It clicks in my head what I want him to be like: a father. 

That's fucking terrible. He's my brother, not my father. I shouldn't be thinking like that. 

"We're here!" Krist shouts. 

I jump, startled by his sudden outburst. I unbuckle myself and climb out of the car, shutting the door behind me. "We're eating lunch at McDonald's?"

"Of course," He smiles. 

He holds the door open for me, so I immediately walk in line and look at the menu. It's weird thinking about how I'm ordering here, but I'm going to be potentially working here very soon. 

Krist and I order our food and he kindly pays for it. We stand by the counter and wait for our food instead of sitting at our table and having to get back up. 

"It feels more like you're my child than my sister," Krist admits, chuckling softly. 

"That's weird. Why do you say that?"

"Because after everything that you told me that happened with your father, I just feel very protective over you and very responsible for you. I mean, you're living with Shelli and I. It feels like we're the mother and father and you're the daughter."

I smile and then a worker shouts our number. We grab the food from him and make our way to the nearest table. Krist and I sit across from each other and start to eat. 

"How's your new record going?" I ask Krist. 

"It's going good," He takes a bite into his burger and chews his food. "Kurt is working really hard on it."

"Do you all write it together or does Kurt do all the work?"

"He does all the work. Kurt is a huge, fucking control freak, alright? He knows what he wants and he's going to get it done. If it doesn't sound right, he's going to keep doing it over and over again until it is right."

"Kurt's a very interesting person," I add. "Do you know about his stomach problems?"

"Yeah. Even when we met, he's had them."

"God, that's terrible. I couldn't imagine being in that much pain for so long."

Krist shoots me a look. "Kaitlyn, you kind of were."

I softly chuckle. I don't know why I did that, but I did. "I guess you're right, Krist."

"Are you excited for Ethan to come back?" 

"Yes, I can't wait. We've been sending each other letters back and forth and it's so...romantic and quirky in a way."

Krist clears his throat and adjusts himself. "Remember to use protection and-"

"Oh, shut up!" I interrupt him and start to laugh. "We're not doing that right now."

"Obviously, since he's not here!"