Chapter 60

February 1, 1993

Seattle, Washington

"Yeah, the house got sold," Tiffany, a woman that works with me, says.

"Congratulations!" I tell her, engulfing her in a hug. "That's a big step."

"Yeah," She chuckles. "My husband and I are going to go out to celebrate. You and Cash should come with."

My heart sinks at the mention of his name. "We're not together anymore."

"Oh," Her hand clasps over her heart. "I'm so sorry, Kaitlyn."

"It's alright," I let her know. "I wasn't good for him anyway."

"I highly doubt that," She says. "Well, I got to get going. I'll see you later, though."

"Goodbye, Tiffany," I wave bye to her as she leaves the office. 

I make my rounds through every room, making sure that all of the lights are turned off. I get to the lobby and as I'm about to turn off the light, I hear the main door creak open. I assume that it's Tiffany, considering that she always forgets her purse after she leaves. 

"Tiffany, did you forget your purse again?" I chuckle, refraining from turning off the light so she can see. 

I hear footsteps getting closer to me. My heart starts to pound out of my chest and my breathing quickens. Before I can respond, a pair of arms wraps around me fromt behind. Right as I'm about to scream, I look down and notice who's hands those are. 

I gasp and turn around to find Kurt standing in front of me. I am taken aback by his appearance, so I take a step back. 

"What?" He looks hurt by this. 

"Your hair," I point to it. "Sorry, I didn't mean to respond like that. I'm just not used to seeing you without blond hair."

"Does it look good?" He touches his hair. 

"Yeah, it does," I say, telling the full truth. The brown hair really suits him. He looks really handsome with it. "You should keep it like that."

"Eh," He waves his hand out. "I don't think so. So...this is where you work."

"How did you know that I'm here?" I ask him. 

"Well, you gave me a key to your apartment. I went in your apartment to surprise you, but when I found out you weren't there, I decided to go into the kitchen to get some water. I was going to wait for you to get back, but then I saw your business cards on your island. So, I looked at the address and drove here."

I blink. "That was a lot of information to take in." One of the things that I notice about Kurt is how abnormally skinny he looks. He's always been skinny, but he's never been this skinny before. 

"What?" He asks, noticing me staring at him. 

"Have you been eating?"

He rolls his eyes as if he's been getting asked this question a lot. "I'm going through a fucking withdrawal, Kaitlyn."

I drop everything that's in my hands and give him a hug. "Are you serious?!"

A smile slowly plasters his face. "Yeah." He's trying to hide that he's proud of himself, but I know that he is. 

"That's great, Kurt! I didn't even know that you were using again."

"I'm not anymore," He sits down on one of the desks. "But last year I was getting a little too rough with it."