Chapter 84

It took us a month to get everything out of the boxes and arranged around the house. We even bought more furniture to fill up the empty spots in the house. 

It's a really open house, so it looks really empty if there's not enough furniture everywhere. Luckily, Kurt has money to get whatever we want. 

I put half of my hair up in a ponytail, then walk downstairs and findFrances eating her lunch with no supervision. She's on the carpet, sitting down, eating her apples. 

I look around the house, making sure that everything is ready for the party.

It's a little celebration that Kurt and I put together for everything: us getting our new house, In Utero coming out and how good it's doing, and a little goodbye party for their tour that they're going to go on. 

Right as I'm stressing out about where Kurt is, I hear his acoustic guitar strumming from the other room. I exhale a sigh of relief, knowing that at least he's here and he didn't just leave. 

I nod, not feeling anymore stress. We have all the food and drinks out. There's not much more for us to do. 

A knock on the door snaps me back to reality and I pause, thinking about whether or not to tell Kurt that people are here and tell him to come out, or if I should wait after. 

I decide not to keep the guests waiting, so I go over to the door and open it up, finding numerous people standing there, but only three I know of--my brother and his wife, and Dave. 

"Kaitlyn!" Krist steps in, not giving me a hug and taking in everything. 

Frances begins to cry, so I rush back and grab her while calling out to everyone, "Come on in!" I pick her up and hand her an apple to eat while I introduce myself. 

Things would be easier if Kurt was out here, I think. 

Shelli gives me a hug and offers to take Frances, so I let her, trying to not be so stressed out. I don't know how to react when I meet new people. 

Dave stands beside Shelli, feeling a little awkward.

"Hi," A man says to me. He has long, curly, think brown hair. I also notice that his skin is very soft. "I'm Eddie Vedder. You're Kurt's wife, right?" He holds his hand out for me to shake. 

I reluctantly shake it, still having no idea who he is. "No, I'm his fiancée. Who are you?"

He furrows his eyebrows at me, lowering his hand from mine and looking shocked. But then, he softens and begins to laugh. "Ha, that's funny. I see what you're doing."

I'm still confused, but luckily Krist comes by my side. "Kaitlyn, this is Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam."

"Is that a band?" I ask him. 

"Jesus Christ!" Eddie breaks into a fit of laughter. "You're funny. Gotta love a funny woman. Where's Kurt at?"

"Playing his guitar," I respond and then look at the man behind Eddie. He's bald and short. 

"I'm Michael Stipe," He reaches out his hand for me to shake, so I do. "Judging based off of your conversation with him, I'm guessing you don't know who I am either. I'm the lead singer of R.E.M." After silence comes over us, he lightly chuckles. "Yeah, I'm guessing you don't know what that is either."

I shake my head. "No. Sorry." I feel awkward, being the host of the party and not knowing any guests. "I'm going to go get Kurt; I'll be right back."

I walk into the music room and see Kurt sitting on the ground, smoking a cigarette with his acoustic guitar in his lap. As good as this room is for Kurt, I feel as if he spends all of his time in here now.