Chapter 64

Waking up to the smell of breakfast being made is something that I've rarely experienced. But as I open my eyes, I realize that I'm living that fantasy. 

I lift my neck up and see Kurt working his way around my kitchen. Now that is something I never thought that I would see. Kurt never really knew how to cook anything, yet here he was cooking something. 

When he turns around, I see him holding a McDonald's bag. I softly chuckle to myself, feeling like an idiot for creating this whole idea in my head that never turned out to be true. 

He makes eye contact with me and smiles softly, but doesn't say anything. He grabs a plate from the cabinet and places it down on the counter. He grabs a sandwhich out of the bag, places it on the plate, and walks over to me. 

I could get used to this, I think to myself. 

"I got you this," He holds is out for me to grab.

Although I don't normally eat breakfast, I could never reject his offer, so I take the plate and sit up. "Thank you, Kurt. You didn't have to."

"I know," He crouches over the couch, but my feet are in the way, so I sit up and sit in the chair normally instead of laying down across from it. "But it's my way of repaying you."

I take a bite of the sandwhich, trying to hide my disgust towards it. "Repaying me for what?"

"Letting me stay here," He replies, leaning backwards and spreading his arms out across the couch. "You didn't have to say 'yes', you know?"

I smile at him and continue to eat. I know that I didn't have to say yes, but part of me felt obligated to doing it. It was really late at night and I wasn't going to send him out all by himself. Besides, I know that if I were to go up to him and ask to stay with him, he wouldn't hesitate to say yes. 

"It's okay, Kurt," I let him know. But it's far from okay. "Will you tell me what's going on?"

He leans forward and sighs. "I fucked up. Courtney found out about us and she went into hysterics. She was screaming and yelling and crying, asking me why I did this to her, all that stuff. She kicked me out. She doesn't want anything to do with me."

My heart aches for him. I know that he really loves Courtney and having this happen to him probably breaks his heart. A small part of me is grateful for her reacting that way because now I get to see him more. "Oh wow. For how long?"

"I don't know," He shrugs his shoulders. "I mean, I don't think we're ever getting back to how we used to, Kaitlyn."

"Are you guys going to stay together?"

"No, she wants a divorce," He says. 

I stare at him with my jaw dropped to the floor. "She wants a divorce?!"

Kurt nods his head slowly and wipes his eyes. "Yep. And she's not changing her mind." He stands up and starts pacing the room. 

I want to help him, but I don't know how. If I were to hug him, I know that he would flip out because he needs his space. But if I don't help him, then he'll just feel alone. 

Helping Kurt is very difficult. I wish that I knew what he was thinking so I could help. All I want is for him to be okay. 

I can't imagine going through a divorce with no only the woman you love, but the mother of your child. They've gone through a lot together, so I don't know why she isn't willing to try and fix this with him. 

"Did you bring up marriage counseling to her?" I ask him. 

He stops pacing and faces me. "I brought up everything, but she's not going to change her mind."