Chapter 4

"Happy birthday, Katie," Ethan kisses my cheek. 

I roll over to my side and kiss him. "It's my birthday, huh?"

"It is indeed your birthday. And do you know what happens on birthdays?"

"What happens?"

"You get special treatment."

He picks me up bridal style and carries me to the kitchen as I giggle. 

Shelli and Krist come out with a pancake with chocolate chips inside of it that spell out "Happy Birthday".

Ethan sets me down, so I give Krist and Shelli a hug. 

"Thank you guys so much," I take the plate from them and sit down and start eating it. 

Ethan takes a video of me eating my pancakes with this stupid camera, so I flip it off. 

"Hey, that's not nice," Ethan chuckles. 

After I finish eating my pancakes, Krist and Shelli sit down. 

"What did you guys do for your birthday last year?" Shelli asks me. 

Ethan and I both exchange glances with each other, remembering what had happened last year. It was the worst birthday someone could ever imagine for someone. I felt so terrible after that day. 

"We didn't do anything," I can honestly say. "We just stayed home."

"Well this year is going to be better," Shelli chuckles. 

"It will," Ethan whispers in my ear. 

I smile at him. "Krist, how's your band?"

"It's good," He replies. "We're recording a record now."

Shelli slaps his shoulder. "You're not supposed to talk about yourself on someone else's birthday."

Krist throws his hands up in the air. "What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean. Don't be selfish, Krist."

Shelli takes my plate and rinses it off for me. "You two can do whatever you want for the day, but we're going out to dinner tonight."

"Let's go," Ethan grabs my hand and we run outside and into the car. He starts driving, so I recline the seat back and close my eyes as he turns on music. 

Whenever we had the chance, we would always just go on car rides to no particular destination. They were always nice because sometimes we talked a lot, but other times, we just say in silence and listened to the music. 

"I am so happy I met you, Katie," Ethan takes my hand and kisses it. "God, you are the most beautiful woman I have ever met in my life and I am so glad that I'm with you. I don't want to be with anyone else. Thank God you were born."

I chuckle. "Yeah, I did a pretty good job at being born today. If it wasn't for me, you wouldn't have been here."

He stares out the window and I immediately sink back in my seat further than I already have. 

I knew that if it wasn't for me, Ethan could be out there living a better life, but instead, he was stuck running away with me. And I hate that for him. He should be able to go and do whatever he wants without me holding him back. He tells me about how it doesn't bother him and how I'm worth it, but deep down, I know that he just wants to act. 

"Katie, I know you didn't mean it like that," He assures me as if he was reading my mind. 

"I just feel terrible sometimes because I feel like I'm holding you back."