27.

The last few days of work were quiet. I just put a movie with notes on it. And I had been staying with Lloyd.

I felt bad that I was invading his space. I would probably leave soon.

But the last hour of the day could not come any quicker.

Once that bell rang, I was just as happy as the kids. Everyone turned in their papers and left for the day.

"Hey Ms. Martin?" I heard.

"Yeah." I said. It was one of my favorite students, Samuel.

"You okay? I don't think you've ever given a whole week of movies."

"Oh yeah. I know it's midterms soon so I thought I'd give you guys some time."

He nodded. "Well, I hope you have a good weekend."

"Thanks Sam. You too."

He nodded and left. Lloyd was standing in the doorway. They waved to each other before Lloyd went to shut the door.

I sighed, resting back in my chair. Lloyd came in and sat in front of me.

"You okay?"

"Mhm. I was just thinking about how I've been invading your space this past week.."

"Oh god Caroline. You think I care?"

I shrugged. He moved to kiss me. "I couldn't care in the slightest."

I nodded. "Let's go home." I whispered.

•••

Lloyd walked into the office that I was in. I was on the phone with my mom.

"You've just seemed quiet. Usually you text me." She said.

"I'm okay." I said.

Lloyd glanced at me, setting down a glass of wine. I knew I was supposed to keep everything a secret. But I wanted to tell her. Just confide in her.

"Are you still okay with Lloyd?"

"Yeah we've been great." I said.

"Tell me what's wrong."

"I promise I'm good mom. It's just the wintertime and it's always so busy and the days are short."

"Mhm. You're not fucking telling me something. I know you Carrie."

I glanced at Lloyd, not knowing what to say.

"Mom.."

"Tell me Caroline. Are you safe? Do I need to get into a fucking car because you bet your fucking ass I will."

Lloyd nodded, sitting down on the couch in the office. I took a deep breath.

"You can't tell dad or Wayne or M. Please don't say a word." I said.

"I promise sweetheart."

"I was kidnapped by someone that Lloyd works with. I'm fine now I promise. I was only drugged."

"I hope I didn't hear that right."

"Please don't be angry."

"Is he putting you in fucking danger Caroline? Cause I swear to god-"

"I have people watching me at all times. It was only that night that it happened and I'm sorry. But I just feel the need to tell you.."

"Are you okay?"

"Mhm. I'm working on it. But I haven't told a soul and it's been over a week and I'm just so exhausted."

"Is Lloyd with you?"

"Yeah."

"Put him on the fucking phone."

"Please don't yell at him. He's done so good with me."

"Caroline. Now."

I handed the phone over to Lloyd. He put it to his ear.

"Hey Mrs. Martin." He said.

They talked for a while. I just sat next to him.

"...and you bet your fucking ass if anyone touches my daughter again, you will be hunted down. She is not some ultimatum."

"Yes ma'am."

"If she is not safe, or under yours or your little business's watch, I will kill you myself."

"I understand."

I got up, downing the wine. After a bit he hung up the phone. He handed it to me.

"I'm sorry." I said.

"She's right. I understand."

"No. I should've made sure not to tell her."

"I like her more than before now. She told me how it was."

I cracked a smile. "You're the best."

"I will actually do whatever it takes to keep you safe. I hope you realize that. You're my only worry right now.."

I moved to kiss him. "I love you." I whispered.

"Love you too. Now I can tell you need some sleep. And you're sleeping in tomorrow. I have to work on some stuff, but I'll be up in a bit."

"Okay. Movie later?" I whispered.

"Yeah."

•••

Lloyd came in late. Like two am. I was half asleep while watching some random cooking show. Lloyd changed before getting into bed. I rested my arm around him. I was sprawled out on my stomach.

"You okay?" He asked. I nodded, my eyes still closed. His body was warm and inviting.

I moved closer to him. He kissed my cheek. I felt lassie get up on the bed.

"Hey girl." Lloyd said. Oh I could melt into the mattress that was so sweet.

I opened my eyes, turning to grab my water and take a sip. Lloyd moved me once I was done to spoon me.

I felt his soft lips on my neck. I smiled, resting back. He pulled me in more.

"Let me take you out tomorrow. Let's go out to eat. But normal people things. A stupid restaurant and a trip to the mall."

"I love you." I whispered.

"And I'll buy you whatever you want from Victoria's Secret."

"I hate you." I said and laughed. "How about we get each other something that we know we both need."

"Oh? In what way Carrie. I hope you're not being dirty."

"The back of Spencer's is my store of choice."

"Jesus Christ." He said and laughed. "Deal. I'm excited to see what you're gonna get me."

"I'm excited to spend time with you."

"Well that too."

I smiled, closing my eyes. "Goodnight Lloyd."

"Night sweetheart."