20.

"Hey." I whispered as Lloyd came in.

"Hi." He said. I was putting in an earring.

It was Thanksgiving. And I was bringing my boyfriend to my family dinner. And I was shitting my pants just thinking about it.

He moved to peck my lips. I smiled, wiping off the lipgloss from his mustache.

"Careful now."

"Mhm. You look lovely."

I sighed. "I feel like shit." I whispered. I went to grab my perfume, spritzing some on.

Not only did I not want to show up to this dinner, but I had a cold. I just wanted to lay in bed.

I had a sweater and some nicer jeans on. I really didn't care about dressing up.

"Okay. You ready?" I asked.

"Mhm."

I think I was high off of DayQuil. If that could even happen.

I got Lassies leash on. We were staying the night. Unless something went wrong. But they lived an hour away.

Lloyd moved to grab my hand as we walked out. I gave him a little smile.

"Are you feeling okay?"

"No. I have that cold still."

"I'm sorry." He whispered. He was sick the week before.

I was so nervous for this. My parents knew I was dating someone. They just didn't know who. And even if sometimes I didn't wanna talk to them, I always wanted to please them.

"Hey. Let me drive. You don't seem too good."

"I'm fine." I said.

"And I'm driving."

"You know Lassie will be in the back."

"Sounds good."

I smiled, squeezing his hand a bit. He kissed my head.

"I know you're nervous. But I promise you, I'm on my best behavior. I'm sober. One hundred percent."

"Thank you. I'm not."

"What?"

"You may have left your vape here. And I took a couple hits and now I'm very buzzed."

"Hoping you've had nicotine before."

"I went to college once Lloyd." I said as I put lassie in the back.

"Okay. Well, if you need it."

"Strawberry is a good flavor." I mumbled as I got in.

"Oh!" He said as he followed in. "Good to know."

I turned up the heat a bit. It was getting very cold here.

"Hey. This is gonna go well. And I cannot wait to see your childhood bedroom."

"I hate you."

"I know."

•••

Lloyd and I walked up to the house. My parents ended up being good with their money my whole life. So they had a nice house. Not mansion house like Lloyd, but a nice enough house to give me and my siblings a room to ourselves, without it being crowded.

"Nice place." He said.

"Mhm."

"Hey. We're gonna be fine."

He had the dog and our bags. He was so good.

I walked in with him. The house was bustling already.

I heard little footsteps. Jack and Max came running in, their little cousin Marley following.