Chapter Seventy One

Mikayla POV

The familiar scent of shampoo hit my nostrils sending waves of comfort and warmth into my lungs, her petite figure snuggled closer to me and I closed my eyes, soaking in the feeling as much as I possibly can.

It was early in the morning and as always, I was the one who wake up before her, though I tend to awake from my sleep much earlier recently just because of this reason. Her being comfortably in my arms. For the past few weeks, this was the only time that I can get close to her without crossing her boundaries.

Only because she didn't know it about it, even though she always goes to bed with her back on me, whenever I wake up I would find her nestled close to me. It warmed my heart a bit because at least I know somewhere in her still has a place to seek comfort from me.

I glanced at the clock to see that her alarm would go off any minute now, sighing out I mustered up every strength in me to remove myself from her hold. This easily became one of the things I hated most since our fight, I just want those ethereal greens to look at me first thing in the morning but if I wanted to keep this little moment I still able to have with her, then I would have to bit my tongue and get out of bed before she wakes up.

I rummaged through my closet quietly to grab my clothes and shower in the guest bedroom and after that, our tension routine starts again.

The breakfast I just finished making laid out in front of me, I was mindlessly scrolling through my phone while waited for Alia to come down and join. She was being later than usual today, I wonder if it's because of the late night out last night.

I was caught off guard when the sound of heels clicking against the marble stairs echoed off hurriedly. Alia hastily walked in the kitchen and she only took a large gulp of orange juice before rushing out again.

"Hey are you not having breakfast?" I called out to her.

"I'm late now." I followed her to the foyer, seeing her quickly check herself out in the reflection of the mirror. "I'll grab something on the way." She said, grabbing her bag without looking at me and hurried out the door.

"O—okay I love—" The door slammed in my face before I could utter the words out and I stood dumbfounded, still registered what just happened a moment ago.

Okay...

I sighed, only having appetite to eat half of my plate before I cleaned everything up. My hand was wiping down the counter while my head swamped with thoughts again. I feel like the more space I was giving her, the further the distant I felt between us. It was like she was slowly slipping away from my fingers and nothing can stop it. The ache in my heart only keeps growing with each day goes by. It's already worse when she wouldn't look at me in the room full of people but to not spare me even a glance when it was just us, it's even worse than a heartbreak. It breaks every inch of my love for her.

Pulling myself out of my head, I shook away the cynical thoughts and went to get ready for work. My hand was already on the door handle, ready to leave before the corner of my eyes caught something. I turned my head and saw a folder lying on the console table, I took a minute contemplating whether I should just leave it or take a look.

But considering it was lying here, I supposed it was Alia's and she must've forgotten it in the rush earlier. I pursed my lip and picked it up, flipped it open to the first page before my hand stopped abruptly.

GLADHILL INDUSTRIES

*CONFIDENTIAL*

The words smacked me hard in the face, silently warned me to stop before I even tried to do anything. I hummed, silently closing it back before my curiosity got the better of me. I really don't want to mess with whatever inside that thing. I already pissed off enough people in my lifetime just from my stubbornness alone. Taking the folder with me, I closed the door behind and made my way to my car, driving to the place where I haven't set foot into longer than I thought.