Chapter Thirty Six

Alia's POV

I opened the door and tiredly walked in, throwing my bag on the couch and slumped down. There was a deafening silence wrapped around me except all the honking can be heard far away down the city. Lazily entered the kitchen, no dinner was set up. I opened the fridge and took out boxes of food that I only need to reheat it.

I sat down on a stool while waiting for the microwave to go off. I missed this. It was like I'm back to all those college years, alone living the worst lifestyle possible but still managed to get everything done. I smiled subconsciously with a glass of wine in hand. In the end all you need to do is hold on to yourself and everything will be just fine. You'll live.

"I know you're cheating on me." I said looking at him. "I've known it for a while now."

"W-what do you mean?" His body tensed and he took a step back. "I...baby...Alia it's not-"

"It's okay." I sniffled and smiled. "It's okay Chris. It's just a matter of time before something like this happen."

"Since when did you find out about this?" His voice flat and looking into his eyes, I didn't see anything except blankness.

"I've had my suspicions but everything became clear when you got back from Chicago. You passed out right after you came home and I saw someone texted you about how good that trip was and how she misses you. Then you came home wasted a few days later in the middle of night, I saw a lipstick stain on your shirt collar when I was cleaning you up. It was all out of the light when I saw David the other day in the DA office, he told me he didn't go on the trip with you like you said to me and that trip was supposed to be canceled but you insisted on going." I took a deep breath before leaned myself against the couch again. "That phone call when you called me at the airport, I heard a woman voice. It was her wasn't it?" 

He stood there with many emotions on his face, fear, shocked, sadness, regret and I sighed, looking away to think about how fucked up this whole situation was.

"I'm sorry." He finally spoke up causing me to look at him. "I....fuck why aren't you mad at me? You suppose to yell at me and scream in my face, why are you so....calm?"

The truth is I wasn't calm, at all. But I knew I was in no place to be mad at him because this relationship was so messed up that I should have known something like this would happen.

"Because I did something too." I said quietly.

He furrowed his brows and stared at me. "What do you mean?"

My trembling hand came to my face to wipe the tears in the corner of my eyes. Everything inside me was an emotional mess and at that moment I felt ashamed of myself more than ever before.

"I kissed someone."

It was dead silence after that and we were both staring at each other's eyes, not believing in anything happen right now.

"Who?" His voice low and he stared straight at me.

I shook my head and bit my lip. "I can't tell you. Trust me it's better this way. It happened one night but I ended it before things get too far."

He nodded. "When did this happen?"

"A few weeks ago-"

"I said when? A specific day." His voice was getting louder.

"I can't tell you. I'm sorry." My voice cracked at the memory of that day. I couldn't let Chris connect the dots and find out it was Mikayla because she didn't deserve to get involved into this mess. I let it happened and I was the one to blame.